Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Toshiba Tecra 8100 External Speakers Don't Work Via Port Replicator

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Grub

I have a Toshiba Tecra 8100 that the external speakers do not work when connected via the Port Replicator docking station. They work when connected via the headset jack. I have double-checked all audio settings. Drivers are current. OS is WinXP Home SP2. I have used different speakers and different Port Replicator. Problem is isolated to the Laptop.

Thoughts..??

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Broken replicator port?

• User profile image
    Grub

Thanks....That's on my 'worst case' list already. I am still hoping some Niner has a software or driver fix.....or some little known geek magic.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Grub wrote:
    Thanks....That's on my 'worst case' list already. I am still hoping some Niner has a software or driver fix.....or some little known geek magic.

Like when you put headphones into the audio-out port on a latop, the internal speakers turn off. When you attach it to the replicator, do the internal speakers still sound? If they do, then something must be wrong with the hardware.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

FYI My dell C840 has the same issue, if I use the drivers that windows supply/installs I don't get any audio from the docking station but works fine when plugged stright into the laptop.  Installing the correct drivers from the Dell site fixed it.  It seems a common issue that you need vendor supplied drivers for the audio to hand over to the docking station correctly.

• User profile image
    Grub

Thanks for the tip, but my employer has a couple hundred Tecra 8100's still in service with port replicator/docking stations and the internal speakers still work. A majority of the users do not have the luxury of external speakers due to cubicle noise abatement. The Tecra 8100 was M/D'd about 1999, but I'll check for newer drivers.
    Thanks again guys...

• User profile image
    Grub

Well...It appears I have the latest BIOS and Drivers. Toshiba maintained BIOS updates til late 2002...Drivers until 2003. I think W3bbo's initial tip was right...highly probable defective sound port on replicator. Thanks again.

• User profile image
    Muzza8100

Grub,  had the same problem until about an hour ago....

Go to the www.toshiba.com  website and search on Yamaha DS-XG.

Find the XP driver for Tecra 8200 - it's called t820sndx.exe.

Run that.... fixed my problem.

Issue is that the "generic" Yamaha DS-XG drivers will not control the Docking option.... the Tecra 8200 drivers work a treat.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.