Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I changed to VS2005 today, but have some problem in adapting "the new way".

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cheong

So, finally I get the green light in order to attempt switching to VS2005. (ASP.NET project in C#, to be more specific)

This is the first day I use it, but have suffered some problem when I want to keep so old (and I feel good) practice.

1) How to change the default namespace in VS2005?
    I understand there is a global namespace by default, but I'd really like to have a way to change it for my projects in order to preserve consistancy of the namespace we use (We used start the namespace with our company name so it won't mix with the other 3rd party components).

2) Any way to NOT using autoeventwireup by default?
    We enjoy having everything explicitly written in our code. I'd love to see the variables explicitly declarated in the class, every event handler explicitly declarated other than write and believe the complier will do the job of linking everything.

The suggestion I found on web regarding <asp:Button id="Button1" OnClick="MyOnclickFunc" runat="server"> is not good for me, as it'll make me confused when writing javascripts.

3) In VS.NET 2003, when I type "new" after "+=", it prompts me to press "tab" to automatically generates the event handler. How to bring this functionality back?

Now I override the Page.OnInit and do everything in "the old way", but it's very troublesome and hindered by efficiency to write code quickly. And I really want some option to make the IDE compatible of my "programming habits" developed in the time when using VS.NET 2003.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    samjudson

You could try looking at the Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project

http://webproject.scottgu.com/

I'm not sure if this answers all your problems but it takes web projects back to a more 2003-type feel.

• User profile image
    cheong

I'll take a look at the application. Thank you. Smiley

I feel a lot better now after a few hours of "try-and-error". I guess the "drawback symptom" is going away... see if I'll get better tomorrow. Tongue Out

I've just created a "template page" with VS.NET 2003, and plan to add it into "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\Web\CSharp\1033\WebApplication.zip".

See if I have any luck to find where other templates hidden and replace them... Tongue Out

EDIT: Bingo! The new WebForm is placed at "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\CSharp\1033\WebForm.zip"
    Now I'm going to attack the other issues...

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.