Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IIS and StyleSheets (.css)

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Red5

Anyone run into this?
    A long running asp.net application that uses a <link> tag to the local style sheet no longer works.  The pages come up in the browser without any styles.  The application and the web server have gone untouched for months.  The problem is repeated on internal and external users.  It's almost as if IE is ignoring the <link> tag or refused to download the css.

Thoughts?

• User profile image
    Maurits

Can you access the CSS file directly through Internet Explorer, if you type the URL to the CSS file in the address bar?

• User profile image
    Red5

Maurits wrote:
    Can you access the CSS file directly through Internet Explorer, if you type the URL to the CSS file in the address bar?

Yes.
    In fact after I log in from the main page, and go to the next page (which is also missing the style settings) and hit my back button. . .wa la....the styles are now present.

I've tried clearing my local cache, resetting IIS, restarting the web server.  Nothing works yet.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Use an HTTP sniffer like Fiddler (for IE) or LiveHTTPHeaders (for Firefox) to watch the requests in real-time... that should let you know when/if IE is requesting the CSS file.

• User profile image
    Red5

I found the problem.
    We have two webservers on a load balancer.  For the last 3 months, we have been intentionally running on just one web server.  Our provider saw that IIS was stopped on the 2nd webserver and decided to start it up for us.  Session state is using InProc so you can see the problem here with the 2nd web server now active.  I went ahead and shut down IIS on the 2nd web server and all is good again in the land of 10,000 lakes.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Red5 wrote:
    Our provider saw that IIS was stopped on the 2nd webserver and decided to start it up for us.

How nice of them Smiley

Setting startup type to "disabled" might have convinced them it wasn't accidental.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.