Tech Off Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How to demo a GUI using Remote Desktop Sharing? WinXP

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    anilp

Hello,
    I have written a GUI application and need to give a demo to someone overseas. I was thinking of talking using MSN messenger and letting them use Remote Desktop to see my screen as I do the demo.
    I have Win XP Home Edition.
    Will it work? are there any tutorials on how to do this (remote desktop stuff)?
    (MSN is my ISP).
    thanks,
    Anil
    Big Smile

• User profile image
    Skeeterbug

WebEx is a pretty standard way of doing this. Remote desktop wasn't really designed for meetings or demos. Oracle also has colaboration software, probably more expensive than webex though.

• User profile image
    Jazzynupe

If it is just one person, this could work. Use desktop sharing through messenger. I am not sure if multiple people could see. Now I don't know for sure cause my firewall has my network locked down pretty good and it has never worked for me.

But potentially if you just want to show the user you could do a remote support request and work it that way. Then the user can watch while you operate. Keep in mind that this is not what it was designed for and may not fully work the way you want it to, test before your demo.

• User profile image
    AndyC

XP home doesn't support Remote Desktop. You may be able to use VNC or similar.

EDIT: Course you can use Remote Assistance

• User profile image
    StoneTable

Use LogMeIn at www.logmein.com. It's free, perfect for demos, and passes right through firewalls without configuration.

• User profile image
    anilp

Jazzynupe wrote:

If it is just one person, this could work. Use desktop sharing through messenger.

But potentially if you just want to show the user you could do a remote support request and work it that way. Then the user can watch while you operate. Keep in mind that this is not what it was designed for and may not fully work the way you want it to, test before your demo.

1) how do you do "desktop sharing through messenger"?
    2) are there negative issues with "remote support request "?

What is the best, free solution?
    thanks,
    Anil

• User profile image
    anilp

StoneTable wrote:

Use LogMeIn at www.logmein.com. It's free, perfect for demos, and passes right through firewalls without configuration.

I notice that one has to "add this computer" at the logmein.com website during the install. I wonder if it's safe. Can the folks at logmein.com access my computer? (bad):O

And what does one do for dynamic i.p. which changes with every session?
    -------------------------
    https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=products_free
    Guest Invite is only available for Logmein Pro which is $70 per year
    Does anyone know of a better solution?

• User profile image
    nektar

Why don't you all use Application Sharing?
    1. Make sure that you and your partner have Windows Live Messenger beta or MSN Messenger installed.
    2. Ad him/her to your contacts list.
    3. Open an instant message window and from the Actions menu choose Activities. From the list of activities that appears choose Application Sharing.
    Using application sharing you and your partner can do as it says: share any application. You can give hom/her control so that he/she will be able to use it remotely if desired as well.
    If Application Sharing fails use Remote Assistance under the Actions menu as well. Remote Assistance allows the other person to see and if allowed interact not only with one application but with the whole desktop.
    I used to do a lot of Application Sharing in the past and even used to share my browser (IE) with my friedns and browse together.

• User profile image
    erik_

If there is no interaction needed from the client, then you can also just use Windows Media Encoder and create a screen capture, no security issues and media encoder is a free tool Smiley

You only need to find a way to get the wmv to the client.

• User profile image
    anilp

nektar wrote:
    Why don't you all use Application Sharing?
    1. Make sure that you and your partner have Windows Live Messenger beta or MSN Messenger installed.
    3. Open an instant message window and from the Actions menu choose Activities. From the list of activities that appears choose Application Sharing.
    Using application sharing you and your partner can do as it says: share any application. You can give hom/her control so that he/she will be able to use it remotely if desired as well.
    If Application Sharing fails use Remote Assistance under the Actions menu as well. Remote Assistance allows the other person to see and if allowed interact not only with one application but with the whole desktop.
    I used to do a lot of Application Sharing in the past and even used to share my browser (IE) with my friedns and browse together.

thanks, nektar - I shall try this and post the results back here. Big Smile

• User profile image
    anilp

I tried it and it crashed both our computers; mine in the USA, and my friend's in China as I was trying to do a demo for him.
    thanks,
    Anil

anilp wrote:

nektar wrote: Why don't you all use Application Sharing?

thanks, nektar - I shall try this and post the results back here.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.