Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

XP Copy Problem

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    TomasDeml

Hi.
    I just bought a larger hard drive and I wanted to move my existing WinXP installation to it. So I installed the new drive as the Secondary Master and booted to my XPs. Then I used Partition Magic to copy the system partition on the new disk. After that, I installed the new one as the Primary Master and removed the original one.

But now, when the mirrored XPs boot, they just freeze during the logon. The weird part is that when I plug the original drive as the Secondary Master, the boot is ok, except a few crashing svhost processes.

I read somewhere that you have to remove all the disk controllers from the Device manager prior to the copy (?).

Has anybody experienced this problem? I just don't want to reinstall XP and download all the updates Sad

Thanks A LOT.

• User profile image
    Stephen

Is the new drive's primary partition set to 'active' ?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Sounds like it's trying to load parts of Windows directly from a piece of hardware that doesn't exist anymore.  This may be why you saw those suggestions.

Honestly, I couldn't say; when I move Windows to a new drive, I reinstall it.

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

Yes, it's active.

Anyway, I'm gonna be safe and reinstall the whole beast Smiley

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

Reinstalled, downloading updates now...
    Actually, it's not that bad Smiley

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

TomasDeml wrote:
    Then I used Partition Magic to copy the system partition on the new disk. 

Stupid question, but partition magic doesn't do drive copies?

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

PerfectPhase wrote:

TomasDeml wrote: Then I used Partition Magic to copy the system partition on the new disk. 

Stupid question, but partition magic doesn't do drive copies?

I think it does Smiley, at least my 8.0 version...it's a true copy, not an image.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.