Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Any documentation authoring tools for VB.Net 2.0 nonASP.Net Projects

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    bob53050

Any good alternatives for generating documentation from VB.Net 2.0 files (nonASP.Net) projects?

Thanks in advance Smiley

Bob Hanson

• User profile image
    W3bbo

NDoc, there's an add-on so it works with VBC.

• User profile image
    bob53050

W3bbo wrote:
    NDoc, there's an add-on so it works with VBC.

Based on what I am seeing on that website, it doesn't currently support VB.Net 2.0 Sad

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

There is currently no free tool that I know of that will generate decent documentation files for .Net 2.0.

I'm working on something myself, but I'm very busy so probably by the time that gets anywhere NDoc will probably support it too. Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

bob53050 wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:NDoc, there's an add-on so it works with VBC.

Based on what I am seeing on that website, it doesn't currently support VB.Net 2.0 Sad

IIRC, NDoc only takes in the %assemblyName%.xml files. So the language version means nothing since AFAIK VBC8 generates the XML files that meet the same schema as CSC1.x

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:

bob53050 wrote:
    W3bbo wrote: NDoc, there's an add-on so it works with VBC.

IIRC, NDoc only takes in the %assemblyName%.xml files. So the language version means nothing since AFAIK VBC8 generates the XML files that meet the same schema as CSC1.x

It also needs the assembly itself to determine what classes/methods are public and protected so would need to be included. But as indicated by Gregory, Generics are the real issue.

• User profile image
    gregoryw

bob53050 wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:NDoc, there's an add-on so it works with VBC.

The last I knew there is a version that supports .net 2.0 with a couple of exceptions:
    • You can't document anything to do with generics yet.
    • The links to BCL classes in the documentation are broken.
    From recent ndoc-users mailing list discussions there appear to be several forked builds that fix these issues.

Oh, and if you take a look at the NDoc website then be warned that the Wiki about .net 2.0 support has been broken for months.

EDIT: You can get the NDoc Wiki entry about .net 2.0 support from Google's cache:
    http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:LmKSsFUd680J:ndoc.sourceforge.net/wiki/dotNet_2.0_Support+&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

Also, see:

http://jonas.lagerblad.com/blog/?p=5

which is a blog entry made by somebody that's been working on one of the forks I mentioned above.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.