Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Link-bar style folders for Quick Launch bar?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cryoknight

Is there a way (and if not, I'd like to make this a request for vista Smiley  ) to put a Menu-like link in the Quick Launch section of the start bar?

Ie, I'd like to be able to click a link and have a menu pop up, a-la having a "folder of favorites" in the links toolbar of IE, or a folder in the Bookmarks Toolbar of Firefox..

This way I could put a My Computer link on my Quick Launch bar, but instead of opening a new window, I'd rather have a menu pop up with my drive letters.  The My Computer link could be a folder in the Quick Launch directory, containing shortcuts to each drive...  I'd rather not use the "My Computer: Display as a menu" feature in the Start Menu itself, since that is slower and displays too much info...

I tried making a folder in the quick launch directory, but all that did was make a folder icon appear, that, upon being clicked, opened up said folder in a window...

If I could make a Browsers folder-menu and a Hard Drive folder-menu, that would shorten my quick launch bar considerably.

• User profile image
    ThMoJe

Try right click on an empty space on the taskbar, and select "Toolbars" => "New Toolbar...".

Now select "My computer", and when finished, make your new toolbar so narrow that you get a ">>" at the end of it   . Now when clicking ">>" you get the functionality you asked for.

ThMoJe

• User profile image
    W3bbo

cryoknight wrote:
    Is there a way (and if not, I'd like to make this a request for vista Smiley  ) to put a Menu-like link in the Quick Launch section of the start bar?

Ie, I'd like to be able to click a link and have a menu pop up, a-la having a "folder of favorites" in the links toolbar of IE, or a folder in the Bookmarks Toolbar of Firefox..

This way I could put a My Computer link on my Quick Launch bar, but instead of opening a new window, I'd rather have a menu pop up with my drive letters.  The My Computer link could be a folder in the Quick Launch directory, containing shortcuts to each drive...  I'd rather not use the "My Computer: Display as a menu" feature in the Start Menu itself, since that is slower and displays too much info...

I tried making a folder in the quick launch directory, but all that did was make a folder icon appear, that, upon being clicked, opened up said folder in a window...

If I could make a Browsers folder-menu and a Hard Drive folder-menu, that would shorten my quick launch bar considerably.

http://www.freelaunchbar.com

• User profile image
    Windbag

Would this be good enough?: Create (or copy) a normal "Program Files"-type folder on the Quick Launch bar. Hold down control while right-clicking... Oops..., while LEFT-clicking...

Works in XP and Vista.

• User profile image
    cryoknight

Hey, the Free Launchbar does exactly what I wanted!
    Now I guess I'll register it so I won't see the words "Free Launch Bar" at the start of it anymore...
    Edit:  A-ha, it has an option to not show the title...  Excellenté...
    (quoting the Spanish guy quoting Mr. Burns)

Thanks!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.