Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Some Vista questions ...

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    typemismatch

1. I noticed something about being able to run Unix apps inside vista, anyone know what that is about?

2. Many of my legacy applications seem to have security issues under Vista - for example, some just don't run unless I run them as Admin, which is odd since it let me install them why can't I run them ... some just throw access errors even when running as Admin. - just qwerks with the beta?

3. I was also running a version under a virtual machine but it keep eating disk space ... not sure what is up with that. Runs ok on a normal machine.

thanks
    -c

• User profile image
    andur

typemismatch wrote:
    2. Many of my legacy applications seem to have security issues under Vista - for example, some just don't run unless I run them as Admin, which is odd since it let me install them why can't I run them ... some just throw access errors even when running as Admin. - just qwerks with the beta?

Check the permissions of the directory that you installed the program to. Odds are, that the system didn't create them with the proper permissions for a regular user to be modifying the files in there. The Admin level thing just lets them bypass these permissions. I've had this happen to me a couple of times, easy enough to fix though.

Course, some of those legacy applications could just plain be poorly written and actually require Admin access for something that they want to do.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

typemismatch wrote:
    1. I noticed something about being able to run Unix apps inside vista, anyone know what that is about?

SFU (Services for Unix)/Interix?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.