Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Have you got the following error when doing the tiny tennis?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

The class name '?' is not a valid identifier for this language.

Interesting, I simply downloaded the C# version of tiny tennis from the Game Arcade and opened it up, the form tinytennis.cs had that message on it.

Doesn't happen with the VB.  I am going to ignore this and work with the vb version, unless others have noticed this problem.

• User profile image
    SmokyJoe

The projects from the arcade games are templates.  The installer tool puts them into a folder one up from the template folder for Visual Studio 2005.  Go Figure, Expressionless then they don't show up as templates in VS2005.   Don't extract the zip file that is created, put them into the correct folder and everything will be good.Perplexed

The Folder the installer puts the zip files into:
    C:\Documents and settings\yourname\my documents\visual studio 2005\templates\project templates\Visual C#

The zip files from the .VSI files should be in the following path, and then they show up as templates in the express versions:

C:\Documents and settings\yourname\my documents\visual studio 2005\templates\project templates\Visual C#\starter kits

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Oh right, the $safeprojectname$ in the namespace indicates that this is a template, silly me.  But why does the installer not put them into the correct folder, I just tried it on another computer it was the same.

If I was a beginner, this would throw me off, big time! 

Hopefully someone will fix the installer for tiny tennis and the other programs.

It works nicely, but the programs seem a little large if I was just getting started.[A]

• User profile image
    ilancerose

I'm a begginner and this is throwing me off, BIG TIME.  I am using the VB version and getting "Character is not valid" on this line

Namespace $safeprojectname$

So, from the previous post, I gather that I should not have just unpacked the zip file.  What should I have done?  Where is this documented?

Thanks.

• User profile image
    ashmon

Ok, so It took me a minute to figure this out, but here's the missing step.

After you've moved the zip file to the

C:\Documents and Settings\ashley.SENDSATIONS\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Basic\starter kits

folder (you'll have to create a folder called starter kits in the visual basic folder) you then open VB 2005 express and then create a new project from a template. You then select the TinyTennis template to create the new project from.

Viola, you can then press F5 to build and run the project.

Also, this should work with the c# version, but I've only tested with the VB version.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.