Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Unpatched MSSQL servers can't bind ports

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cheong

This is a solved problem and I post it merely for FYI purpose.

If you install MSSQL server without service packs on a Win2003 server and tried to run it, you'll find it cannot be binded on any of the TCP and UDP ports. There's no use to change the port numbers, etc. (Skipped a lot of other methods I tried)

The cause is that there is a patch in Win2003 that prevents unpatched SQL2000 servers to bind to the ports.

After installed SP4 the SQL server binds to the ports successfully, but a few good hours has been wasted. Sad

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    thepuffin

I'm pretty sure that the SQL Server installer complains rather loudly "SQL Server is not supported on Windows Server 2003 without installing SP3" during installation. I guess you missed that Smiley

• User profile image
    cheong

Actually I did missed that message, as the server is not installed my myself.

It's from a support call from another company, complaining the SQL cannot connect after reinstall. (Their copy is the initial version - i.e. without any service pack built-in)

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    figuerres

cheong wrote:
    This is a solved problem and I post it merely for FYI purpose.

If you install MSSQL server without service packs on a Win2003 server and tried to run it, you'll find it cannot be binded on any of the TCP and UDP ports. There's no use to change the port numbers, etc. (Skipped a lot of other methods I tried)

The cause is that there is a patch in Win2003 that prevents unpatched SQL2000 servers to bind to the ports.

After installed SP4 the SQL server binds to the ports successfully, but a few good hours has been wasted. Sad

Sweet!  Smiley

Can anyone recall a tiny problem called "MS BLASTER"?

I bet that is why..... so folks patch and do not become targets for that.

that might not be the case but still ... if someone is going to re-load something they need to add the updates and make sure they configure it.  I hope they also put in a strong password on SA also ??

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.