Tech Off Thread

3 posts

What are ProductCode, PackageCode, & UpgradeCode ?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Minh

I've been handed a new version of a product & noticed that it has different ProductCode, PackageCode, UpgradeCode than an older version.

My spider-sense tingles and says that this may fail to update our app properly when we are ready to distribute our app (there are pre-existing installations).

Anyone has any insight on how the ProductCode, PackageCode, UpgradeCode interact with an older installtion of an app?

• User profile image
    Chris Jackson

UpgradeCode should remain constant throughout the lifetime of your application - that is how the installer knows if you are installing a newer version or not. ProductCode and PackageCode will vary with different versions and packages.

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/upgradecode.asp

• User profile image
    Minh

Thank you Chris. You've just save me a lot of headaches and yelling, and possibly me crying.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.