Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista and WPF

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    ElucidWeb

I have a rather interesting question about Vista and WPF.  Is the 3D-Flip in Vista written in WPF?

Also I would like to write an extension for Vista that would mimick the Expose functionality that OSX and XGL have where all of the windows are shrunk down and shown on the desktop.  Can anyone give me some pointers to documentation or anything that could get me rolling on that?  I am not even sure where to look, thanks!

• User profile image
    Pon

Check out Microsoft Scalable Fabric on the Microsoft Research site, it does exactly what you're looking for. There might be some docs there.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Flip 3D uses the same unmanaged low level code that WPF uses, but the API will be undocumented for v1 I think. It likely also uses a window thumbnail API built on top of that, which I believe will be documented. So you might be able to work with that, though it will also be unmanaged.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Flip3D isn't using WPF, but the Desktop Window Manager (the 3D desktop composition engine that makes Flip3D possible) is built on milcore, the unmanaged low-level engine that underlies WPF.

And yes, you can access and use the application thumbnails for your own purposes. You probably can't do this directly from a .Net application, but some PInvoking will get the job done.

The important functions to look at are DwmRegisterThumbnail and DwmUpdateThumbnailProperties. The first will tell the DWM "I want to show the thumbnail for window X on window Y" and the second will cause it to be drawn with the specified properties. Note that the documentation for both these functions (and the rest of the DWM) is still far from complete.

• User profile image
    GRiNSER

well, so someone could build a Expose like program with the DWM Thumbnail functions?
    That would be cute...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I was curious about how to do this myself, and tried it out a bit. I posted the result in the Sandbox.

• User profile image
    ElucidWeb

Sven Groot wrote:
    Flip3D isn't using WPF, but the Desktop Window Manager (the 3D desktop composition engine that makes Flip3D possible) is built on milcore, the unmanaged low-level engine that underlies WPF.

And yes, you can access and use the application thumbnails for your own purposes. You probably can't do this directly from a .Net application, but some PInvoking will get the job done.

The important functions to look at are DwmRegisterThumbnail and DwmUpdateThumbnailProperties. The first will tell the DWM "I want to show the thumbnail for window X on window Y" and the second will cause it to be drawn with the specified properties. Note that the documentation for both these functions (and the rest of the DWM) is still far from complete.

Hmmm, interesting...Should be relatively easy to do that but I would like the animation to transition smoothly much like Expose does from True size of window down to the shrunk down size and I know in Win32 and GDI thats just not possible without an insane amount of code and triple buffering, etc.  I will look into it...

I am pretty sure I could pull this off if not at least a prototype that I can build off of!!  Will keep you posted in this forum!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.