Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista Beta 2 x64 install freezes during expanding files

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

As the title says.  For some reason, the installer will just stop at some point during the expanding process (???).  Can anyone help me out here?
    Shuttle barebones PC with Pentium D (3ghz) 2gb DDR2 RAM, 2 HD.
    I'm installing into the first primary partition on the second disk.  What gives?

BTW: I'm using a KVM.  Is there any way that could mess stuff up?  I would hope not.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Ok, now it decides to give me BSoD.  Stop errors about MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.
    Technical Info:
    *** STOP: 0x0000001A (0x[lots of 0s]5002, 0xFFFFF78000001000,0x[lots of 0s]97E7,0x40008BC9FFFFFFFE)

I'm giving up.  This is pretty disgusting how it just dies randomly... it can sometimes make it to like 70ish% of expanding files, and then just dead stop.  Or it will just hit this Stop error about Memory Management.  Sure, the installer is absolutely slick and is really one of the best I've used in a while, but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.  I guess this hardware isn't supported or something.

I've checked the memory with memtest, I let it run overnight for around 1100% coverage (no errors) so that probably isn't it.

Hmm, I wonder if the dang thing is overheating.  I put my hand back there and the exhaust was pretty warm... and I've had weird crashes from overheating, and shuttle cases are confined as all heck.  Thing is, I've never run into it while using Win2k (I've installed things like VS2005 and done a few other things that might cause the thing to break a sweat, nothing serious yet)

Hmm, now that I think about it, expanding files would be processor intensive, drivng the temps up.  I wonder if the heatpipe in the thing isn't cooling enough.  The two HDs also add a fair bit of heat.

This stinking shuttle has an idle temperature of about 50 degree Celsius.  Of course its going to be overheating during WinVista install.  Great...

All is well.  The install could finish if I took the cover off the stupid Shuttle.

• User profile image
    amotif

Which Shuttle do you have? I have an SN25P arriving Monday (fingers crossed) and it's supposed to have rather good cooling (specs, review & pics). It should have good cooling for the price. :O

What I was going to ask before reading your second post--heck, I'm still going to ask--are you overclocking it?

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

amotif wrote:

Which Shuttle do you have? I have an SN25P arriving Monday (fingers crossed) and it's supposed to have rather good cooling (specs, review & pics). It should have good cooling for the price.

What I was going to ask before reading your second post--heck, I'm still going to ask--are you overclocking it?

SD36G5 I think.  I guess 45 degrees is normal for the things... oddly enough, the fan never spins up.  BIOS problem I guess.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.