Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Analysis Tools -- unused objects/methods

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Hi folks,
        I'm looking for a free analysis tool that will inspect a VS2005 solution and report a list of all objects and/or methods that are uncalled from within any project in the solution.

There is a reflector add-in that will show call-graphs of a single object, but I have a very large project I want to analyse as a whole.

Anyone know of any? I don't have the time to write one Smiley

Herbie

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Hi folks,
        I'm looking for a free analysis tool that will inspect a VS2005 solution and report a list of all objects and/or methods that are uncalled from within any project in the solution.

There is a reflector add-in that will show call-graphs of a single object, but I have a very large project I want to analyse as a whole.

Anyone know of any? I don't have the time to write one

Herbie

What about FxCop?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Thanks for the suggestion, Tomas.

Unfortunately, FxCop only checks uncalled private code and instantiated internal classes.

What I am looking for is a list of public methods that are unused: we have a 'closed' system with several assemblies. If an assembly has a public method that is not used by itself or any of the other assemblies in the solution, then it is redundant and I want to know about it so that I can remove it.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Dr Herbie wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Tomas.

Unfortunately, FxCop only checks uncalled private code and instantiated internal classes.

What I am looking for is a list of public methods that are unused: we have a 'closed' system with several assemblies. If an assembly has a public method that is not used by itself or any of the other assemblies in the solution, then it is redundant and I want to know about it so that I can remove it.

Whilst it's not what you're looking for ncover might be a start. In combination with unit tests it might give you a good indication of what's not called.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.