Tech Off Thread

5 posts

IDE Icons

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    FrogPad

The icons in the express IDE's are really nice. I was wondering if anyone happened to know the location of these guys.
    And on that same note, would it be possible to use these icons in our software for the competition?

• User profile image
    Blkbam

Like most grapical resources they're probably compiled in the exe or a dll.  To get them out you can use a tool I've used called 123IconHunter.  As far as permission to use them in any program I think MS doesn't mind though you may want to read this before assuming so.  I haven't run into any problems using icons though I'm not a large entity and I give proper credits to those involved.

• User profile image
    Kaelan

The Express toolbar icons are not stored in bitmap or icon resources that I've located so far... they have an alpha channel, for one, which is rather unusual in icon resources and next to impossible to store in a normal bitmap resource. I think they're either using the newfangled .NET resource format, or doing their own thing.

• User profile image
    FrogPad

I've went through all the DLL's and Exe's that comes packaged with C# and .NET 2.0. I'm pretty sure they are not in the standard resource file. It's a shame, Microsoft doesn't grant developers the rights to use these icons from within the IDE. There should be some built in cosmetic's such as this, it would really go along way in standardizing the interfaces within programs. Which, in turn, would be nice...

• User profile image
    Blue​Firehawk02

When not found, there's always Alt-PrntScr and some time editing in photoshop. Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.