Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Hardware for Exchange, Sharepoint, Files, IIS Web App...

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cro

I would like to have those services for a small group of 20 people.

1. Exchange
    2. Sharepoint
    3. File server
    4. IIS Web App (very small web app)
    5. SQL Database

Do you think that one server could handle all that ? How would you setup all those services if you what it to be scalable ? This group is low on budget. I hope that they will buy at least 2 server so we could install Exchange on one server, and all the rest on the other server.

What would you recommand ?

Thanks.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

cro wrote:

1. Exchange
    2. Sharepoint
    3. File server
    5. SQL Database

Do you think that one server could handle all that ? How would you setup all those services if you what it to be scalable ? This group is low on budget. I hope that they will buy at least 2 server so we could install Exchange on one server, and all the rest on the other server.

Thanks.

Exchange, and Sharepoint both kinda rely on IIS, so you can have those all on the same box (besides, isn't Sharepoint just a glorified ASP.NET web-app?)

You can keep the SQL Server on the same box as the Fileserver.

If you've got a machine with at least 2.4Ghz CPU and 2 gigs of RAM, you can run all of those on the same box with no performance hit, if you've got less than a gig of RAM I don't recommend running Exchange, IIS, and SQL Server on the same box (since they all fight over 1.5GB of RAM)

I actually recommend getting two boxes with a gig of RAM each, make one the domain controller and the other a secondary domain controller, that also gives you nice redundancy there.

All sounds nice on paper, but then you've got the licensing fees to contend with:

• Windows Server Domain membership CALs
    • Exchange Mailbox CALs
    • SQL Server Per-User/Device/Processor CALs
    • IIS CALs (I don't know the rules about that one)
    Microsoft really should sell a "Buy this and don't worry about licensing"-edition of all their server products, even if it costs a bomb.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

I suggest a decent off the shelf server with a 3ghz xeon and a min 2GB+ of Ram.

Dell has some great pricing on similar machines that can handle everything you need and are upgradeable (actually there are some decently priced Dual Core Celery based servers available)

for SQL i say just go SQL2k5Express since i am assuming its for the IIS web app....

IIS comes with Win2K3 free so thaz not an issue. Sql2k5Express avoids any cal-esque issues there. Sharepoint uses its own DB backend (which btw will screw up SP real fast if you go playing around in there)

and for 20 ppl Exchange shouldn't be a huge deal.. i do however HIGHLY recommend the use of a different SMTP server with better more extensible filtering technology to prevent the spam. Might I suggest MailMarshal which is what we use here. Its configured as the smtp server and forwards all mail to exchange on a different port. keeps your exchange store full of whats important and makes flushing out the bad far easier.

• User profile image
    blowdart

cro wrote:

1. Exchange
    2. Sharepoint
    3. File server
    5. SQL Database

Thanks.

Why not look at Small Business Server (Premium)? Sql, Exchange, Sharepoint and ISA Server (with 2003 underneath, so there's your file server). 1 license covering all the products, with the install configured to work nicely on 1 machine, and available as a pre-install from the likes of Dell.

Waiting for R2 might be nice though, to get SQL 2005.

• User profile image
    Tensor

blowdart wrote:

cro wrote: I would like to have those services for a small group of 20 people.

1. Exchange
    2. Sharepoint
    3. File server
    5. SQL Database

Thanks.

Why not look at Small Business Server (Premium)? Sql, Exchange, Sharepoint and ISA Server (with 2003 underneath, so there's your file server). 1 license covering all the products, with the install configured to work nicely on 1 machine, and available as a pre-install from the likes of Dell.

Waiting for R2 might be nice though, to get SQL 2005.

Beaten to it. SBS is ideal for these setups.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

Have to agree on SBS and i should be shot for not mentioning it first.. GO SBS!!

• User profile image
    cro

SBS look very interesting. ISA will be of no use since we already have a firewall. Where I work is like tons of small business that share some infrastructure (Internet, Active Directory, POP3, SMTP, email filter).

So the "infrastructure" talk about moving to Exchange, but they are very slow to adopt new technologies. So If we move to Exchange, they will forward email to our server and if they move to Exchange, our server will still deserve our group.

As I understand it, Sharepoint use Sharepoint Services that are free ? But, what can we do with only Sharepoint service ? Is there a webcast or a virtual lab that I can asssit ?

• User profile image
    AndyC

cro wrote:

As I understand it, Sharepoint use Sharepoint Services that are free ? But, what can we do with only Sharepoint service ? Is there a webcast or a virtual lab that I can asssit ?

Sharepoint is awesome for collaboration even without portal server. Not sure if there is a virtual lab, but there is a quick walk through demo here.

Edit: There is also a free one month hosted trial here.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS) is the "Express" version of Sharepoint.... its available free and IIRC any machine with server 2k3 and IIS can host  WSS site.

The thing i hate most is that they require that all users have actual domain accounts (migh even be local accounts) on the server. I hate that, a lot.

WSPS (Windows Sharepoint Portal Server) is the suped up crackhead  lamborgihni version of sharepoint. Unless you plan on doing some super intensive stuff with tons of users... you won't need the outlandish cost.

Oh and apperantly developing for WSS is a huge Ancient Chinese secret. There is almost no information on the topic.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.