Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VMWare experiences

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    WillemM

This is the first time I'm working on a WMWare server and I noticed that is reacts kinda slow. This despite the 4-cpu and 32GB machine it's running on (my guest OS has 4GB mem and 1 cpu).

Anyone else experienced this with VMWare GSX server?

• User profile image
    amd_duron

32bit with PAE or x64?  

• User profile image
    TimP

Have you installed VMware Tools inside the guest operating system? If you don't then yes, it will be kind of slow.

• User profile image
    WillemM

amd_duron wrote:
    32bit with PAE or x64?  

This machine has Windows 2003 Enterprise edition x64 installed. That's the only good way I know to use more than 4GB of memory.

Now I installed the VMWare tools and the system does indeed seem to run better. Odd that tools make such a big difference Tongue Out

• User profile image
    asharism

WillemM wrote:

Now I installed the VMWare tools and the system does indeed seem to run better. Odd that tools make such a big difference Tongue Out

VMWare tools are the equivalent of drivers in the virtual (client) machine.

These tools provide the guest OS the appropriate means to access H/W resources.

My experience with VMWare tells me that these tools are a must and should be the first things you must install on a client machine.

-HiTech

• User profile image
    Beetlejuice

i test VMWare GSX server in microsoft virtual pc. Working fine!

• User profile image
    TimP

The Intel Virtualization Technology and AMD Pacifica extensions will replace software virtualization drivers like VMware Tools so VMs will run at near native speed from the second they're turned on.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.