Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sound Problem

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Shark_M

Hi guys,
      Recently I have been experiancing some problem with sound. The problem is this. When I am playing music on say realplayer One, the sound keeps stuttering, where the buffers seem not to be refreshed with new sound bits, (looping on small sound bit of the music). This only happens when the computer is multi-tasking, like browsing or loading a website in FireFox, especially heavy one like abc.com or cnn.com.

I have updated Realtek drivers, and they are current, but I dont know why this is happening? Its as if the system is low on resources but I am not doing any processor intensive work. This only happens when loading a page on FireFox or loading Visual Studio or something like that.

What would be causing the sound to stutter like that (dada dada dada dada dub) or something along that in XP?

I have Kaspersky Antivirus, and Outpost Firewall Pro. As well as ,  Messenger Live 8.0. That would be running in the background.

• User profile image
    WillemM

I had the same problem with my AMD64, although I think it had something to do with the motherboard there.

In this case I think you need to try a clean windows installation. It does
    the trick most of the time. Sometimes windows gets pretty messed up after you tried a few programs and de-installed them again. Spyware and other malware programs often cause problems too. (Even after you removed them Tongue Out)

It could also be that the soundcard is slowly dying. If you have another card lying around somewhere, you can always try to replace the card you have now (or disable it in the bios in case you have an on-board card).

• User profile image
    Shark_M

WillemM wrote:
    I had the same problem with my AMD64, although I think it had something to do with the motherboard there.

In this case I think you need to try a clean windows installation. It does
    the trick most of the time. Sometimes windows gets pretty messed up after you tried a few programs and de-installed them again. Spyware and other malware programs often cause problems too. (Even after you removed them Tongue Out)

It could also be that the soundcard is slowly dying. If you have another card lying around somewhere, you can always try to replace the card you have now (or disable it in the bios in case you have an on-board card).

Its puzzling really, Its as if the processor is doing something and is not switching context fast enough, so the realplayer application buffers dont get flushed as quickly as they should.

There are some suggestions in other forums that say, to increase sound buffer capasity and that helps but i dont know.

I would want to investigate the root cause of this before I give up and just format my C: and do a clean windows installation.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

If I had to guess I'd say the system was paging out stuff that Real wanted to use.  How much RAM do you have, and how much is being used when the stuttering happens?  Also, what kind of a sound card do you have, and what are your audio hardware acceleration settings?

• User profile image
    Shark_M

Matthew van Eerde wrote:

If I had to guess I'd say the system was paging out stuff that Real wanted to use.  How much RAM do you have, and how much is being used when the stuttering happens?  Also, what kind of a sound card do you have, and what are your audio hardware acceleration settings?

Well the system page is 1024(minimum) and 4096 (max).

So its a large page file, I clear prefetch also regularly.

I have 512 Ram,

Now I noticed that the stuttering happens, also when the mouse cursor moves slowly, like it makes big jumps as its going from point A to point B in the screen. Indicating the System momentarily (like when loading a page on firefox) freezes. That is the moment the stutering happens.

But guess what. I have solved this issue. I reinstalled a fresh copy of XP, and it no longer happens as far as I can tell. I wished though to know the exact cause of such a behavior, it would have saved me 2 hours or so to install new fresh copy of windows + my other programs.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.