Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Headphones not working with Vista

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    raptor3676

I've installed WinVista in my Dell 810 Laptop, and one of the problems I've got is the fact that when I plug my headphones to it no sounds comes out of it, the speakers go off, however.

I think this is related to the new audio stack in vista, where end-points are defined so your sound plays throught one of them.  The speaker are end points, the headphones jack being another.  (well at least that's what I read)  However in the audio properties I couldn't find where to set the headphones up.

Any ideas anyone?

Raptor

PS: Just in case... Yes the hardware is OK, headphones works just fine under XP.

• User profile image
    SCMcDonnell

raptor3676 wrote:
    I've installed WinVista in my Dell 810 Laptop, and one of the problems I've got is the fact that when I plug my headphones to it no sounds comes out of it, the speakers go off, however.

I think this is related to the new audio stack in vista, where end-points are defined so your sound plays throught one of them.  The speaker are end points, the headphones jack being another.  (well at least that's what I read)  However in the audio properties I couldn't find where to set the headphones up.

Any ideas anyone?

Raptor

PS: Just in case... Yes the hardware is OK, headphones works just fine under XP.

I had the same problem with my Dell 810.  Goto Dell's website and download the latest driver for your SigmaTel C Audio Driver and you'll be set.

SM

• User profile image
    littleguru

Get the lastest driver from dell and install them. Had the same issue.

• User profile image
    raptor3676

Thank for the help, I've checked the dell support site but I couldn't find a driver for Vista.

Do am I supposed to use the XP drivers?

Thanks for the help.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.