Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Data Access recommendations

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Another_​Darren

    Right I need some recommendations for a DAL or ORM product.  I'm going review them for work in the coming weeks and would prefer to take advice from people who have used them or developed them. Scouring the web and reading market spiel was never my thing.

    I'm not fully up to speed on c# yet but if it has good documentation then it shouldn't take me long to get to grips with it.  If it doesn't have good docs, then I'll probably pass on it.  If you can recommend something it would help me greatly if you give me a few bullet points why you like the product.

    Thanks.

    [Rossj mentioned littleguru has something so let's hope I hear from him!]

  • User profile image
    figuerres

    Another_Darren wrote:
    Right I need some recommendations for a DAL or ORM product.  I'm going review them for work in the coming weeks and would prefer to take advice from people who have used them or developed them. Scouring the web and reading market spiel was never my thing.

    I'm not fully up to speed on c# yet but if it has good documentation then it shouldn't take me long to get to grips with it.  If it doesn't have good docs, then I'll probably pass on it.  If you can recommend something it would help me greatly if you give me a few bullet points why you like the product.

    Thanks.

    [Rossj mentioned littleguru has something so let's hope I hear from him!]



    might help to list a few things like:

    project size
    asp.net or winforms
    web services used (yes / no / maby)
    backend data store is (MSSQL, other)

    if there are clients not using .net what sort? Java vb6 etc....

    as things like that could make or break the use of some dal / orm tool.

  • User profile image
    Another_​Darren

    figuerres wrote:
    
    might help to list a few things like:

    project size
    asp.net or winforms
    web services used (yes / no / maby)
    backend data store is (MSSQL, other)

    if there are clients not using .net what sort? Java vb6 etc....

    as things like that could make or break the use of some dal / orm tool.


    To answer them all;

    We are moving to .net at work and the main drive will be c# + asp.net.  We will eventually migrate all are current apps to the selected platfor ranging from MIS, Forecasting, Dynamic reports, Staff Planning,etc so all sizes of projects. Web services will be used to intergrate with old legacy systems, possible as a data source. We are putting MS SQL 2005 in as the main backend rdbms.  Were we don't use asp.net for delivering system we will use .net smart client (mainly fery ui intense apps). To but it bluntly we are new to .net and don't want to re-invent the wheel (or DAL/ORM) so looking for something that will suit most projects, easy to implement, adaptable and has is future proof (as in still being developed towards need version, eg. linq, etc).

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    I'm always recommending my ORM "Opf3" Smiley It is designed to be very easy to use, customizable and fast...

    Opf3 ships with a wizard (aka Opf3 Wizard) that creates the persistent objects (the objects you can load and save to the database) from the database schema!

    It supports quite a few database systems, such as MS SQL (7, 2000, 2005), Oracle, Access, PostgreSQL, VistaDB, MySql, ...

    The thing does not cost very much: from $ 199 (Single Developer License Opf3 Framework only) to $ 999 (Site License Opf3 Framework + Wizard).
    And after buying the product you get the full commented source code for the Wizard and the Framework!

    If you have any problems with the product, we are always there to help you out: with our forums or by writing us an e-mail Smiley

    A few starting points:
    - Beginner videos: http://www.opf3.com/Opf3/Documentation/Default.aspx
    - Advanced tutorial: http://www.opf3.com/Opf3/Documentation/AdvancedTutorial.aspx
    - Documentation for each class of the framework (each class, method, property is documented - most of them have also a sample on how to use them): http://www.opf3.com/Opf3/Documentation/OnlineHtmlHelp.aspx
    - Documentation for the Opf3 Wizard: http://www.opf3.com/Opf3/Documentation/OnlineWizardHtmlHelp.aspx

    The Opf3 Website uses also the Opf3 Framework for the forums, customer area, news, RSS feeds etc. (all done in ASP.NET 2.0)

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Another_Darren wrote:
    [Rossj mentioned littleguru has something so let's hope I hear from him!]


    Hehe. I haven't read that before posting my first reply. Thanks to RossJ for mentioning me and my product. Smiley

  • User profile image
    Another_​Darren

    littleguru wrote:
    
    A few starting points:
    - Beginner videos: http://www.opf3.com/Opf3/Documentation/Default.aspx


    Tried to view the videos but they have not actual video content on them?

  • User profile image
    jmbledsoe

    Another_Darren wrote:
    To but it bluntly we are new to .net and don't want to re-invent the wheel (or DAL/ORM) so looking for something that will suit most projects, easy to implement, adaptable. . .

    I helped build a piece of software called the DataSet Toolkit.  It follows the .NET Framework pattern of using DataSets and DataAdapters, and so should be easy to learn and use if you're familiar with those framework objects.  I've used it for three different medium-to-large .NET applications, and it's been rock-solid for me.

    As for support, our support team is very attentive and will answer questions quickly.

    There's a free 30-day trial, and you can get a single developer license for under $100.  Check it out and let us know what you think.

    Thanks,

    John B.

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    I dont know if it's exactly what your looking for but I have uploaded my own DAL in the Sandbox area of this forum. Its pretty simple to use and has support for SQL Server and MySQL, you will still need to create your own ORM but its handy to abstract the underlying data access away from the business objects.  Check it out the code is freely available it's .Net 2.0 and written in C#

  • User profile image
    Another_​Darren

    leeappdalecom wrote:
    I dont know if it's exactly what your looking for but I have uploaded my own DAL in the Sandbox area of this forum. Its pretty simple to use and has support for SQL Server and MySQL, you will still need to create your own ORM but its handy to abstract the underlying data access away from the business objects.  Check it out the code is freely available it's .Net 2.0 and written in C#


    I think I'll take a look, it sounds like a good way to learn a bit more about DALs by having a look inside.

    Thanks.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Another_Darren wrote:
    
    littleguru wrote: 
    A few starting points:
    - Beginner videos: http://www.opf3.com/Opf3/Documentation/Default.aspx


    Tried to view the videos but they have not actual video content on them?



    Sorry, for the delay. Was kinda busy the last few days. The videos are just the very basic introduction... Didn't you see the flash movies?

    http://www.opf3.com/Opf3/Documentation/TutorialVideoPlayer.aspx?Item=1
    http://www.opf3.com/Opf3/Documentation/TutorialVideoPlayer.aspx?Item=2
    http://www.opf3.com/Opf3/Documentation/TutorialVideoPlayer.aspx?Item=3

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.