Tech Off Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Who's using ATLAS?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Just  been reading about the June CTP release of ATLAS and it got me wondering if anybody has actually used this stuff yet.

Apart from playing with it has anybody tried to use ATLAS in a real project and what was your experience like implementing it?

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

are you talking about just the MS platform or AJAX as a whole?.... I use AJAX in my current project when doing so seems proper for the user to not have to see a postback....

however... I use the AJAX controlls provided by Telerik.com to achieve this.... with minimal effort (almost no javascript for me!!! yay!!)

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

I was asking about the MS stuff specifically.  I've looked at AJAX in general and impressed with the likes of Prototype and Scriptalicious.

I watched some ATLAS demos and will probably have a dabble with it soon.  What I'm interested in seeing is how much extra code it adds to the overall page.  When I look at how ATLAS has been used to implement AJAX, I can help but think it could have been done better somehow...

Anyway thanks for th Telerik.com link, I may have a look at that as well!

• User profile image
    FusionGuy

I'm using both the Atlas framework and Control Toolkit for a real project that has been ongoing for about 5 months.  My experience has been very positive so far.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Another_Darren wrote:
    Just  been reading about the June CTP release of ATLAS and it got me wondering if anybody has actually used this stuff yet.

Apart from playing with it has anybody tried to use ATLAS in a real project and what was your experience like implementing it?

getting ready to use it in some things..... been looking at how soon / late it will be shipping...

looks good so far....

• User profile image
    csharp1171

We are using it with only one issue.  We just discovered this today and haven't figured out exactly why this happens.  We are pulling data that was imported in SQL Server and displaying it in a GridView.  There are some special characters that were imported that seem to break Atlas.  When these special characters are in the GridView anything Atlas related stops working.  This only happens if we are using Atlas.  If the Atlas code is removed paging works fine.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

I was discussing AJAX/ATLAS at work and some interesting idea came up about how interactive a page should be.  In some cases could AJAX be worse that postback? 

Image you have a listbox with 8 department names in it, then a second list of all the employees in each dept (say 100 per dept).  On postback you'd just populate the employee list once after they select the dept and submit.  Now the AJAX option should work the same, but say the list box has focus so the user just scrolls down to the fifth department in the list.  Does this fire off 5 background requests thus creating more server load and giving a slower feeling to the page? 

Should we be careful, or more selective, when using AJAX?

• User profile image
    defstream

Ajax definately prompts you to think a bit more forward before just throwing any solution. I'm using Atlas now and while still a bit buggy I give it two thumbs up.     

• User profile image
    Rossj

If you do go the Ajax route, please be careful about how you handle the connections, I know in your case Darren you're looking at several hundred users ... you have to think carefully about making lots and lots of small calls back to the server if the connections are closed after each call.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

We are using it on on10.net, not the controls, just the framework at this point. Using the controls is something we are thinking of doing in the future though, but the web service proxies have been working great for us so far.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Another_Darren wrote:
    I was discussing AJAX/ATLAS at work and some interesting idea came up about how interactive a page should be.  In some cases could AJAX be worse that postback? 

Image you have a listbox with 8 department names in it, then a second list of all the employees in each dept (say 100 per dept).  On postback you'd just populate the employee list once after they select the dept and submit.  Now the AJAX option should work the same, but say the list box has focus so the user just scrolls down to the fifth department in the list.  Does this fire off 5 background requests thus creating more server load and giving a slower feeling to the page? 

Should we be careful, or more selective, when using AJAX?

well one thing that comes to mind is how cacheable that data is...

if your backend db is sql 2005 and the server is iis6

then you may be able to use sql dependancy to cache the lists.

then the hit would be from the web server to the client.

with the sql server only getting hit a few times a day.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Rossj, figuerres:

THat's what I'm thinking about. Although AJAX solves the UI issues making it more interactive, it still has more work to do that the equivalent desktop apps would.  I think when we do look to adopt AJAX at work we need to set guidelines on when and how we should use it.

A bit of bad design on a very popular ASP page could end up crippling the web servers with excessive XmlHttpRequests.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

Another_Darren wrote:
    Rossj, figuerres:

THat's what I'm thinking about. Although AJAX solves the UI issues making it more interactive, it still has more work to do that the equivalent desktop apps would.  I think when we do look to adopt AJAX at work we need to set guidelines on when and how we should use it.

A bit of bad design on a very popular ASP page could end up crippling the web servers with excessive XmlHttpRequests.

Also don't forget to consider the end user... implementing too much AJAX on a page can make it needlessly slow... and cripple the end users machine..... we had a few issues with this early on... (Started adopting AJAX early) and discovered that you really need to be picky about what generates a callback and a postback and how much Javascript you are planning on using..... in the end its often trial and error.... and compromising

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Just found this (via ATLAS blogs) ... Script# Prototype

A good idea for people who want to use the VS IDE and stay in C# do implement ajax.  The only thing that puts me off is the need to compile the 'script code' into seperate files.  If this could be done automatically by VS then it would be really cool.

• User profile image
    Rossj

You are looking for Pre-build events in the properties for the project (right click properties - on the project - Build Events tab).

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.