Tech Off Thread

7 posts

IE7 stole my wife, ruined my life

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • mrshrinkray

Not quite as extreme, however since I've installed IE7 beta 3, I now can't access an internal website which is run on IIS6. I got out the old packet sniffer and discovered that IE7 doesn't actually respond to the authentication header it gets sent back:

HTTP/1**UnReg**authorized
    Content-Length: 1656
    Content-Type: text/html
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    WWW-Authenticate: Negotiate
    WWW-Authenticate: NTLM
    WWW-Authenticate: Digest qop="auth",algorithm=MD5-sess,nonce="b17fbc9d519fc601a0d32aaa756f038f4de198e74354a9eedebece9093aa565210da5653a1d933f2",charset=utf-8,realm="Digest"
    X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
    Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:07:11 GMT

And so IE7 just says it can't find the server (I think it's being creative with the truth).

Also since I installed, my valued Photoshop 6 now hangs at startup.

Why don't you just uninstall you winging pom, I hear you cry! Well, I tried this, restarted the machine (no errors or anything) and was left with an IE6 that was broken, continously complaining about a preview.dlg. I tried a restore point but for some reason the restore point system still gives me IE7.

Help! Any suggestions? Can I force IE6 back over the top without having to do a complete re-install?

• blowdart

There was a patch on WindowsUpdate concerning IE7 and auth headers. Did you try pulling it down? (No idea if it fixes the latest beta though)

• Unoriginal​Guy

Is this what it is sending to IE:

Because I don't think "**UnReg**" is valid HTTP

• Ericlaw

Can you please send me (ericlaw@microsoft) a log file of your interaction with the server?

www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/help/log.asp

IE should/will only respond to an authentication challenge if the server sends back a HTTP/401 response status.

Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
    Program Manager
    Internet Explorer Networking

• mrshrinkray

UnoriginalGuy wrote:

Is this what it is sending to IE:

Because I don't think "**UnReg**" is valid HTTP

Sorry I should've mentioned, the unreg is added by ether detect as it's unregistered.

• kuehcj

You need to change the setting of IE7 so that it automatically uses the windows authentication to authenticate to the server.  Available at:

Internet Options -> Security -> Choose the appropriate zone -> Custom Level -> User authentication -> Automatic logon using current user name and password

• zhuo

very catchy title, wished the content had been just as entertaining.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.