Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why *.mov files open too slowly in Windows?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Beetlejuice

Hello!
    Just interestingly...
    as is easy to see in windows *.mov files open with QuickTime Player very slowly.
    Why Billy, Why?  Smiley

But seriously - Why its happen?

• User profile image
    joem83

Beetlejuice wrote:
    Hello!
    Just interestingly...
    as is easy to see in windows *.mov files open with QuickTime Player very slowly.
    Why Billy, Why?  Smiley

Quicktime was and still is very slow.  Best bet is to use third party software.  Personally that is why and mov file I get, or mov files my clients want on their site I convert to either WMV or avi.  Quicktime also will add itself to the startup when ever it is started, and not that it has iTunes more crap that will load on startup and kill my performance.

And best bet is to use third party software if you need to use or play mov files

• User profile image
    Beetlejuice

joem83 wrote:

Beetlejuice wrote: Hello!
    Just interestingly...
    Why Billy, Why?  Smiley

Quicktime was and still is very slow.  Best bet is to use third party software.  Personally that is why and mov file I get, or mov files my clients want on their site I convert to either WMV or avi.  Quicktime also will add itself to the startup when ever it is started, and not that it has iTunes more crap that will load on startup and kill my performance.

And best bet is to use third party software if you need to use or play mov files

i know this, BUT nevertheless Why *.mov files open too slowly in Windows? WHY?
    (i use VLC - http://www.videolan.org/ - its very good life is a cone)

• User profile image
    mattcampbell

Yes, VLC Media player Is the best cross-platform player. In my opinion.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Beetlejuice wrote:

i know this, BUT nevertheless Why *.mov files open too slowly in Windows? WHY?

Because Apple write shoddy software?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Quicktime Alternative FTW!

• User profile image
    Adrian​JMartin

Whats really odd it the shift is min req specs required!: take a look at

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/player/specs.html

The basic/older formats require quite mundane cpu/mem, but....

Videos purchased from iTune store...require x3 cpu speed and x2 video mem!!!

HD videos...the win version rec 1 whole ghz more cpu and x2 ram over the Mac version.

there is only so much spin you can put on something, before it starts to break up!

In a way i kinda respect apple marketing for the just blatantness of it all...

but in the end i feel for the windows programmers at apple who see there work tared like this.

i really wonder what the atmosphere is like in the windows software division of apple......

• User profile image
    Rossj

AdrianJMartin wrote:

Whats really odd it the shift is min req specs required!: take a look at

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/player/specs.html

The updated specs are to allow you to play H.264

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.