Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Slow response time in VS.NET 2005

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    phreaks

I remember a while back someone had posted some tips on how to increase the performance of VS.NET 2005, and I was hoping someone could re-post them as I am unable to locate them.

My VS is so slow in the IDE. There is like a 1 second delay between when I type a char and when it appears in the IDE. Also everything is sluggish and slow.

Any tips to improve the performance would be greatly appreciated.

• User profile image
    cokert

I would assume you've looked into these suggestions, but I'm going to throw them out anyway....

How is the memory usage situation on your PC?  I saw the same kind of thing when I had a system with a severe memory leak.  Fixed the memory leak, sluggishness went away.  Try turning off Intellisense briefly, too.  I would expect it to immediately pick up in speed, but obviously the major point of VS is intellisense...

Check your disk fragmentation level, too.

EDIT:
    Did a google search and found this:
    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:yGRrzkf9aHUJ:www.dotnetslackers.com/newsgroups/microsoft_public_dotnet_languages_vb_upgrade/ng-64451_keyboard_delay_problem_in_VS_2005.aspx+vs2005+ide+typing+speed&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=9&lr=lang_en

The last suggestion concerns having large forms open ... close the form and performance goes back to normal, in that guys case.

• User profile image
    phreaks

cokert wrote:
    I would assume you've looked into these suggestions, but I'm going to throw them out anyway....

How is the memory usage situation on your PC?  I saw the same kind of thing when I had a system with a severe memory leak.  Fixed the memory leak, sluggishness went away.  Try turning off Intellisense briefly, too.  I would expect it to immediately pick up in speed, but obviously the major point of VS is intellisense...

Check your disk fragmentation level, too.

EDIT:
    Did a google search and found this:
    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:yGRrzkf9aHUJ:www.dotnetslackers.com/newsgroups/microsoft_public_dotnet_languages_vb_upgrade/ng-64451_keyboard_delay_problem_in_VS_2005.aspx+vs2005+ide+typing+speed&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=9&lr=lang_en

The last suggestion concerns having large forms open ... close the form and performance goes back to normal, in that guys case.

Thanks for the links, you know this is going to sound really weird, but I closed calc.exe and my performance went back to normal.
    Perplexed

• User profile image
    typemismatch

If you are working with any markup turn off validation or turn it to something basic. I know MS have a patch for this that works really well, I guess it will be released with the next service pack.

-c

• User profile image
    party42

Actually, on my old computer the Consolas font was seriously slowing down performance. So I switched back to Courier. Can you try going to Tools->Options->Text Editor->C#->General and unchecking the “Navigation bar” option, and see if that makes a difference?

Considering the fact that you might want to keep the Navigation bar in some languages here's a macro:

Sub ToggleCSharpNavigationBar()

Dim properties As EnvDTE.Properties = DTE.Properties("TextEditor", "CSharp")

Dim shown As Boolean = properties.Item("ShowNavigationBar").Value

properties.Item("ShowNavigationBar").Value = Not shown

End Sub

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.