Tech Off Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

can you determine the url of the audio source file?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    anilp

Hello,
    When you click on a link which brings up a media player embedded in a browser window without a toolbar, can you tell the url of the audio source file? Is there a tool that can 'read' where the source is coming from?
    For example, click on
    Click the "Listen Now" button. A browser without a toolbar comes up embedding Media Player. How can I know the url of the audio file?
    thanks,
    Anil Philip
    Olathe, KS

• User profile image
    littleguru

You mean that?

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/swn/saved/ccom/ministries/nlc/wma/nlc_20060625_f889c749-e5da-4430-bce2-f6e641b9c1a6.wax

That is rather easy with IE7. Click on listen. As you said a new window is opening. In IE7 you see the URL in the new window. Select that, and copy it. Go back to the main window, enter the url (you copied earlier). The exact same page should open. But this time in the main IE window.

You have won now!

Press ALT. Click the "View" menu. Click the "Source" menu entry. You got the page source now.

Search for the Windows Media Player plugin tag (in the source). If you found it, you need to search for stream (it is in one of the param tags).

That's everything you need to do...

Edit: Am I allowed to post this here. OK. I'm not telling you how to save the stream on your disk Tongue Out

• User profile image
    anilp

littleguru wrote:
    That is rather easy with IE7. Click on listen. As you said a new window is opening. In IE7 you see the URL in the new window. Select that, and copy it. Go back to the main window, enter the url (you copied earlier). The exact same page should open. But this time in the main IE window.

How do you select the url? it is in the title bar and is there for < 1 second.
    thanks,
    Anil

• User profile image
    anilp

anilp wrote:

littleguru wrote: That is rather easy with IE7. Click on listen. As you said a new window is opening. In IE7 you see the URL in the new window. Select that, and copy it. Go back to the main window, enter the url (you copied earlier). The exact same page should open. But this time in the main IE window.

How do you select the url? it is in the title bar and is there for < 1 second.
    thanks,
    Anil

Where did you get IE7 from? I have 6.02
    You must be Bill Gates' buddy!
    -
    Anil

• User profile image
    Tensor

anilp wrote:
    Where did you get IE7 from?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

An alternative would be to use Fiddler, then you can simply see the URL as it's being requested.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sven Groot wrote:
    An alternative would be to use Fiddler, then you can simply see the URL as it's being requested.

Nah. That's to easy. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    anilp

I shall try it and let you know.
    If this works, you're my hero!
    I have tried to find the answer on several forums - real gagnon, web developer etc. for weeks.
    I have written a new kind of multimedia tool and to demo it, I wanted the url to play it. But the url was all wrapped up in Javascript so I couldnt get to it.
    I would love to give you the web page address to see the demo, but I am afraid that Microsoft will reverse engineer it and that will be the end of my business startup!
    thanks,
    Anil

littleguru wrote:
    You mean that?

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/swn/saved/ccom/ministries/nlc/wma/nlc_20060625_f889c749-e5da-4430-bce2-f6e641b9c1a6.wax

You have won now!

Press ALT. Click the "View" menu. Click the "Source" menu entry. You got the page source now.

Search for the Windows Media Player plugin tag (in the source). If you found it, you need to search for stream (it is in one of the param tags).

That's everything you need to do...

Edit: Am I allowed to post this here. OK. I'm not telling you how to save the stream on your disk

• User profile image
    anilp

Sven Groot wrote:

The Fiddler page says "Windows 2000 / XP / 2003 with Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1 (4322)"

Do I have to install .NET Framework?

• User profile image
    anilp
  • User profile image
    littleguru

anilp wrote:

Sven Groot wrote: An alternative would be to use Fiddler, then you can simply see the URL as it's being requested.

The Fiddler page says "Windows 2000 / XP / 2003 with Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1 (4322)"

Do I have to install .NET Framework?

Hmmm. Installing the .NET Framework is 20 MB of download... Why not installing it? It comes with the Windows Update btw.

• User profile image
    anilp

littleguru wrote:
    That is rather easy with IE7. Click on listen. As you said a new window is opening. In IE7 you see the URL in the new window. Select that, and copy it.

As I asked before...
    How do you select the url? it is in the title bar and is there for < 1 second. Furthermore, the title bar is not selectable.
    thanks,
    Anil

P.S. I used IE7

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Try this (for IE6):

- Click Listen Now
    - Drag the titlebar icon of the popup window to the desktop to create a shortcut
    - View the properties of the shortcut to get the URL
    - Copy and paste that URL into a normal browser window
    - The address bar and menus will be retained (at least they were for me in IE6)
    - View source

• User profile image
    anilp

DCMonkey wrote:

Try this (for IE6):

- Click Listen Now
    - Drag the titlebar icon of the popup window to the desktop to create a shortcut

Thank you for replying.
    I assume you mean drag from the toolbar at the bottom of the screen? - it does not drag.
    If I right click on the "Listen Now" href, I can create a shortcut on the desktop.
    Looking at its properties,
    javascript:openPlayer('nlc', 'f889c749-e5da-4430-bce2-f6e641b9c1a6', 'audio')

When I paste it back in the original window, the popup simply pops up again.
    How do I get the url?
    thanks,
    Anil

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

No, I meant drag the title bar icon of the popup window to the desktop.

• User profile image
    anilp

DCMonkey wrote:

No, I meant drag the title bar icon of the popup window to the desktop.

that worked!!!
    Thank you, DCMonkey!!!, and everyone else who helped! Big Smile

• User profile image
    anilp

What about with embedded players like this. Is it possible to tell what the url is?
    This is for the Katherine video ai5_perf_top2_katharine_4.mov
    at American Idol.  http://www.americanidol.com/videos/?vid=408

thanks,
    Anil
    ----------------------------------------

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.