Tech Off Thread

2 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS 2005 for old Pocket PC OS?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cvandend

Hi,

If I compile my program in Visual Studio 2005, will it run on Pocket PC 2002 & 2003 devices? Or do I need to branch out and keep two separate versions?

I have eVC3, eVC4 and now VS2005 installed on my computer. Right now I use eVC3 for the final build and eVC4 while debugging so that I can debug on a device or the new ARM emulators. But it's annoying when adding new files to the project, have to remember to add it to both projects. I'm wondering if I have to add a 3rd project on a 3rd compiler that I must maintain.

It's too bad Microsoft never thinks about backwards compatibility. Everytime they release a new PPC OS they assume that everybody will immediately throw away their existing devices and buy new ones. Unfortunately the real world doesnt work that way and it's really hard for developers to keep backward compatibility in our products. Another example - I have spent many many hours developing an ActiveSync provider that has worked in 2000, 2002 & 2003 but now it cant be used anymore in WM5  Sad    the users are loosing on this.

Thanks!

Chris

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

VS2005 compiled code will definitely run on Windows Mobile 2003, not sure about 2002 though (though I don't see why it wouldn't as long as you make sure you don't use any APIs that aren't in 2002).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.