Tech Off Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. Yo

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    zhuo

Hi

I've first installed visual studio 2005,
    then i installed Internet Information Service,
    then i installed visual studio .net 2003.

And when I tried to create a new project in visual studio .net 2003 it comes up with the message.

"Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or services."

I am running this under winXP SP2. This is pretty urgent as I need to test out some stuff before returning to work on monday. Stressed!!!

James

• User profile image
    phreaks

Open the IIS MMC.

Choose Default Website --> Properties
    --> ASP.NET tab
       --> ASP.NET version Drop Down

• User profile image
    zhuo

H4L0PR1CK wrote:
    Open the IIS MMC.

Choose Default Website --> Properties
    --> ASP.NET tab
       --> ASP.NET version Drop Down

It's already 1.1.4322.
    I've also tried aspnet_regiis -i

Still doesn't work.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Have you tried the repair?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;306005

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open text box, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
    "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\version\aspnet_regiis.exe" -i
    In this path, version represents the version number of the .NET Framework that you installed on your server. You must replace this placeholder with the actual version number when you type the command.

• User profile image
    zhuo

H4L0PR1CK wrote:

Have you tried the repair?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;306005

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open text box, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
    "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\version\aspnet_regiis.exe" -i
    In this path, version represents the version number of the .NET Framework that you installed on your server. You must replace this placeholder with the actual version number when you type the command.

Yes I have

• User profile image
    phreaks

I am sorry, the only other thing I can think of is reinstalling VS.

I have to ask though, what were you thinking installing VS before IIS?

I know VS 2005 comes with it's own host, so maybe you didn't realize you needed vs 2003 as well?

Would upgrading your VS 2003 project to 2005 be a viable solution?

• User profile image
    zhuo

H4L0PR1CK wrote:
    I am sorry, the only other thing I can think of is reinstalling VS.

I have to ask though, what were you thinking installing VS before IIS?

I know VS 2005 comes with it's own host, so maybe you didn't realize you needed vs 2003 as well?

Would upgrading your VS 2003 project to 2005 be a viable solution?

I wasn't thinking of going back to using vs 2003, just that i've received a new contract and they are still using vs2003 so i've had to revert back to it.

Need to try out some stuff before going back to work. I am trying to install it on a virtual machine instead. Hopefully that works

Cheers
    James

• User profile image
    borosen

As far as I know(?), VS2003 figures out the version of ASP.Net on the IIS by requesting a page called 'get_aspx_ver.aspx'.

This page does not exists, so the framework returns a 404 error with the following content:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;} p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px} b {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:bold;color:black;margin-top: -5px} H1 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:18pt;color:red } H2 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:14pt;color:maroon } pre {font-family:"Lucida Console";font-size: .9em} .marker {font-weight: bold; color: black;text-decoration: none;} .version {color: gray;} .error {margin-bottom: 10px;} .expandable { text-decoration:underline; font-weight:bold; color:navy; cursor:hand; } Server Error in '/' Application. The resource cannot be found. Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /get_aspx_ver.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    From this, VS figures out I have ASP.Net verions 1.1 on the IIS.

If you query your IIS with an aspx page that does not exists, what kind of result do you get?

• User profile image
    figuerres

asp.net 1.x / vs 2003 does infact request that mising file as a way to try and verify that asp.net 1.x was installed.

if a global error handler / http handler or other configuration has been done that blocks that request or returns a file etc... then vs 2003 freaks out.

as I recall if asp.net was there and not borked you could still write to iis and it worked fine.

I'd sugjesst clean out all the .net installs and start with 1.1 and vs 2003 -- verify that then load 2.0 and vs 05

if installed in that order they normaly work together on one box.

• User profile image
    zhuo

Thanks for all comments & help

I've decided to set up a temporary development environment on a virtual machine instead, much better this way I think.

James

• User profile image
    usarrow23

hi zhuo,
    I have ever met the problem like you. I executed some steps below and now I am using both VS2003 and VS2005 well. You try to execute follow all steps  as:

1. Close ALL VS2003 and VS2005 applications
    2. Uninstall IIS
    3. Uninstall .NET FrameWork 1.1
    4. Reboot
    5. Install IIS 5.1
    6. Install .NET Framework 1.1
    7. Reboot
    8. Go to the Visual Studio .Net 2003 Command Promt then type aspnet_regiis.exe -i
    Note: You can reg follow
        regsvr32 %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\version\aspnet_is api.dll
    9. Reboot

When you run Web  App 2003 you have to select ASP.NET version: 1.1.4322
    and if run Web App 2005 you select ASP.NET version 2.0.50727

< it in IIS and right click Virtual Directory\ Propertier\ ASP.NET >

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.