Tech Off Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Internet Explorer 7 very slooow. Why?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    anilp

I installed IE 7 on my Win XP system. Went through the install, but after that, it keeps going upon startup to a site in Microsoft. Changed the default home page, try to go to any other site, very slooow. Takes minutes if at all.
    BTW I did all this on a 54Mbps connection in Panera Bread - so it wasn't the bandwidth! I turned off the phishing filter to no avail.
    What is the problem?
    -
    Anil

• User profile image
    borosen

Do you have any add-ons (such as Developer toolbar)?

Disable those and see if it helps.

If it does, try to find an updated version of the add-on causing the problem.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Hmmm. Strange. Very strange. It starts here in like a second. You should look what addins you have installed. How many RAM do you have? What is your CPU?

• User profile image
    j0217995

Just wanted to echo the orignial posters thoughts.  I am still having the same problems, there is another post that I will try and find that I started w/ some useful hints, but havn't gotten it to work right.

Beta 2 or Beta 3?

• User profile image
    anilp

littleguru wrote:
    Hmmm. Strange. Very strange. It starts here in like a second. You should look what addins you have installed. How many RAM do you have? What is your CPU?

IE7 - It is the latest beta of whatever is out there - at microsoft.com.
    512Mb RAM, 1.6 GHz AMD Turion HP Pavilion laptop (2 months old).
    thanks,
    Anil

• User profile image
    anilp

borosen wrote:
    Do you have any add-ons (such as Developer toolbar)?

Disable those and see if it helps.

If it does, try to find an updated version of the add-on causing the problem.

Actually I had to give up using IE on my laptop - I am posting this from my desktop.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

I'd be happy to help isolate this problem if you email me.  I gave up trying to do these things in this forum.

• User profile image
    borosen

BruceMorgan wrote:
    I'd be happy to help isolate this problem if you email me.  I gave up trying to do these things in this forum.

I think this is realy sad (the giving up forum part). [C]

You are not the only one. I find it quite common; when I search the internet for a solution to a problem I have, I find a thread in a forum that seems to target the exact problem / question at hand, but just ends as above; email me.

Quite frustrating Mad

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

borosen wrote:

BruceMorgan wrote: I'd be happy to help isolate this problem if you email me.  I gave up trying to do these things in this forum.

I think this is realy sad (the giving up forum part).

You are not the only one. I find it quite common; when I search the internet for a solution to a problem I have, I find a thread in a forum that seems to target the exact problem / question at hand, but just ends as above; email me.

Quite frustrating
    Yes, if the results of the investigation don't get posted back. 

It's easier to work 1-1 with someone via email.  Threads get hijacked or dragged off topic, they fall off the front page, there's no ability to track a conversation, blah blah blah.

• User profile image
    anilp

Each time I start up IE7, it goes to these two pages. After the last one, it asks me to Save Settings. When I do that, it sorta hangs after that.
    Here are the two pages:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=54834

http://runonce.msn.com/runonce2.aspx

After that, for example, I patiently timed it. It took over 4 minutes to load the Channel 9 webpage!
    Then I tried to load this thread to reply to, it took over two minutes!
    All on a 54 Mbps connection!!!

I disabled all the loaded add-ons - except the Sun Java console - which does nothing much anyway. Disabling the addons does nothing.

How do I remove IE 7? Considering it has screwed up my computer?

thanks,
    Anil

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

anilp wrote:

I disabled all the loaded add-ons - except the Sun Java console - which does nothing much anyway. Disabling the addons does nothing.

thanks,
    Anil

Aha - the Sun Java console has some known problems with IE7 Beta 3 (or vice-versa, depending on your point of view), causing excessive CPU use.  This is why everything is running slowly.

Disabling it should fix your problems, but if not you could try uninstalling it.

Uninstalling IE7 is trivial - Add Remove Programs.

• User profile image
    anilp

BruceMorgan wrote:

Uninstalling IE7 is trivial - Add Remove Programs.

Have you tried uninstalling IE?
    It is still there on the start menu after the Remove Windows Components.

• User profile image
    anilp

BruceMorgan wrote:

anilp wrote: 

thanks,
    Anil

Aha - the Sun Java console has some known problems with IE7 Beta 3 (or vice-versa, depending on your point of view), causing excessive CPU use.  This is why everything is running slowly.

Disabling it should fix your problems, but if not you could try uninstalling it.

Ok, that fixed it!
    thanks!
    I still need the Sun Java console as I am a Java programmer - hope they play nice soon.

• User profile image
    anilp

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.