Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Old Visual FoxPro Data

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    UsefulIdiot

I have a client who is currently in contract with me to develop a new version of their point of sale and customer management software. For this I will be writing it in Visual Basic, storing all the data with SQL Server 2005. Their current app was made with fox pro, and they have over 7000 clients in their database. How can I get the data out of DBC, DCX, and DCT files in order to import them later on into my new app?

Thanks,
    Chris

• User profile image
    figuerres

Well FoxBase / FoxPro is / was a clone / version of dBase III+

I am not sure if they tweaked the file formats in Fox
    you can start with ODBC using the dbase drivers.

do you know what version of Fox was used??

also if all else fails the DBF file format is documented on the net.

I have some vb.net code that reads a slightly hosed dbf file for one client that has to download it from a vendor that creates the invalid dbf file  -- I could digg it out if you needed it.

but first try just ODBC with the standard dbase drivers...

Not sure but I will guess that this fox version you have is doing this to the names:

DBC == DBF  -- Data
    DCX == NTX  -- Index
    DCT  == DBT  -- Memo data

in dBase III+ and others a DBF file could have a "Long Text" item that was stored in a seperate file so that the DBF record sizes were kept standard.  the DBT file was a list of memo items and the DBF stores a kind of "Pointer" to the text and the length of the text.

thats as I recall after not doing much with dBase for a *LONG* time Smiley

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

VFPOLEDB provider available from msdn.

Search for Cindy Winegarden on any forum (especially msdn ones), she is the FoxPro data guru online.

• User profile image
    matt0210

Use the DTS wizzard from the Enterprise Manager. You can set the data source to the Database Files. The DBC is the Database Container. This one is a bit tougher to crack.
    I usually go the other way. I would never touch any heavy databases with anything other that foxpro on windows. .net just isn't there yet. I know about all the great features, but it comes down to reliability.
    I would move the application to an SQL or Oracle server. That way you can store your local views and connections in the DBC and utilize the power of a dedicated DB server.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

matt0210 wrote:
    Use the DTS wizzard from the Enterprise Manager. You can set the data source to the Database Files. The DBC is the Database Container. This one is a bit tougher to crack.
    I usually go the other way. I would never touch any heavy databases with anything other that foxpro on windows. .net just isn't there yet. I know about all the great features, but it comes down to reliability.
    I would move the application to an SQL or Oracle server. That way you can store your local views and connections in the DBC and utilize the power of a dedicated DB server.

FoxPro to the death?

Is your penchant ISAM technology?  Expressionless 

.NET is here, FoxPro isn't.    Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.