Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MS-BT for Windows-2003-EE  ??

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    MB

Hi All,

I finally bit the bullet and wiped VISTA from my system... as my doctor advised me that it was endangering my health... Wink

Truth be known... it crashed, again, and took the system disk with it... and I simply don't have the interest in playing the MS Beta-Bunny game any more.

So... after much contemplation, and sorting through what I had in my MSDN bag of tricks... I decided that Windows Server 2003-EE R2... was the tool for me and my Workstation...  and everything went well until the final reboot... when my MS Optical Elite Blue-tooth desktop stops communicating with the system.

Much googling (and a hard-wired KB/Mouse) later, and I find that I am faced with the problem of MS apparently making a unilateral decision not to support Blue-Tooth on Win-2003-EE... as apparently MS figured that nobody would ever want to use their MS desktop with Windows-2003... WTF ??

So... now my much beloved MS Optical Elite Desktop for BT-2.0 is a just a pile of expensive plastic sitting in the corner... as I try to re-aquaint myself with a standard keyboard (god, it took me years to learn the MS unilateral standard for keyboard layouts... and now I keep hitting the wrong keys).

Anyways... I've tried a number of hacks to get the XP-SP2 BT stack to run, but so far, nothing works... I can get the BT installer to run and complete installing, with apparent success, but the device manager still reports that the driver is not compatible... and I've got the big yellow ?!

If anyone has experience with solving this one, I'd be ever so grateful.

Cheers.

• User profile image
    Adrian​JMartin

You use Server software for your Workstation...?!

• User profile image
    julianbenja​min

You could try the WidCOMM BT stack.

• User profile image
    MB

AdrianJMartin wrote:

You use Server software for your Workstation...?!

Sure... my "workstation" is a HP dual-xeon with 16GB ram.

You can go the XP-64bit path... and suffer similar problems of Vista... lack of application and driver support... or go the Win-Server path... with provides stability and support for up to 64GB RAM (2003-EE-R2).

This specific issue (lack of a suitable BT stack) aside, there is absolutely nothing in XP and/or VISTA that I want/need compared to Win-Server... and it's just a case of adjusting the system to give priority to applications.

I **LOVE**the stability... and I **MUCH** prefer the clean & simple UI... as far as I'm concerned MS can jam the fluff and bubbles of the VISTA UI... but obviously... YRWV.

Cheers.

• User profile image
    MB

julianbenjamin wrote:
    You could try the WidCOMM BT stack.

Thanks... I've looked at that option, but I can't find a clear description from anyone on precicely how to do it (and as an ex systems programmer... I'm not exactly a raw newbie) nor can I find a link to the drivers that hasn't already been shut-down by Broadcom... who seem to be hell-bent on a mission of allowing drivers through OEM partners only.

Even using the MS-BT stack... all the available info is a bunch of ...here's what worked for me, but it might not work for you... I just wish MS would honour their promises and supply the MS-BT stack (which they promised for 2003-SP1) for all versions of Windows.

Cheers.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.