Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Launching Window from XBAP

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    trun_gup

can i launch a window through XBAP application? 

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I've never heard of XBAP.

What is it?

• User profile image
    Rossj

JohnAskew wrote:

What is it?

Avalon in the browser

• User profile image
    footballism

I think since XBAP is running under internet zone, the security permission imposed by CAS will not allow you to open a new Window from XBAP.

Sheva

• User profile image
    footballism

JohnAskew wrote:

What is it?

XBAP stands for Xaml Browser Application, Internet Explorer uses PresentationHost to host WPF content inside web browser.

Sheva

• User profile image
    wacko

long time since I have posted here but seeing that Jamie movie just inspired me to do so.

I have to ask why you would want to launch a window from XBAP ? why not just launch a normal window from HTML and the host the XBAP content within that window.  From what I saw in the video it did not look like XBAP was ment to build applications in the sence that we see web applications. To me it seemed more like a competitor to something like Flash and is more in the order of presentation. While you could build a full on application I am sure, just as you could with Flash;I think its main idea would be to stay self contained, atleast thats what I got from the video. someone can correct me if I am wrong.

You would just host the content within the XBAP; now one could I am sure see something like pop-up menus etc.. and maybe that would be self containted inside the XBAP iframe but I did not see anything that said it would load up a window or anything from the outside. just as flash does really.

• User profile image
    Charles

::OpenThread(210122);

C

• User profile image
    Almund

A short addition to this old thread since it might be more accurate today:
    The XBAP is hosted within some kind of PresentationHost but this only hosts the base of the application. To open up a window from this PresentationHost isn't a problem at all since it runs real WPF inside. This is at least true for .Net 4.0.

Best regards

• User profile image
    spivonious

Poor old XBAP...never had a chance once Silverlight came around.

Brings up a good question though...can you host WinRT apps in the browser?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

XBAP applications can't be run from the Internet zone anymore btw, although you can still run them from a local intranet (or if you click through the "yes I'm stupid and I don't mind if my computer gets exploited" dialog).

WinRT apps won't be able to live natively in the browser (otherwise Microsoft would have to allow any website to read/write to disk for example), but javascript-WinRT projects should be much easier to port in both directions if you wrote some kind of abstraction on top of javascript/WinRT and called those APIs.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.