Tech Off Thread

5 posts

.Net Remoting ... does it have a future?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Sabot

Hi All,

I noticed that .Net Remoting *may* by in the next version of .Net 2.0 but I do remember reading somewhere that .Net Remoting was going and 'Indigo' was going to replace it. So is it in or out chaps?

I am excited by the Web Service Addressing, but I am looking for the 'holy-grail' a generated database event being replocated through the middle tier right up to the client without having to write loads of code. I.e. events driving everything with no limits. I believe they calls this 'Event driven Architecture' which will be the next new wave after SOA I predict.

Cheers,

Sabot

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

Sabot wrote:
    I noticed that .Net Remoting *may* by in the next version of .Net 2.0 but I do remember reading somewhere that .Net Remoting was going and 'Indigo' was going to replace it. So is it in or out chaps?

Remoting is part of the CLI standard. To remain standard-compliant, Remoting will have to stay.

Besides that, Microsoft have normally tried to retain backward compatibility, and I believe they've stated this as a goal for .NET 2.0.

A public compatibility list is at http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/changeinfo/default.aspx.

• User profile image
    bwill

.NET Remoting will be in .NET 2.0.  Where did you hear that it might not be?

• User profile image
    Sabot

Actually Bwill, I must apologise and stand corrected! As .Net Remoting will be in .NET 2.0.

But as for as .Net remotings futures, I would please like to refer you to this post please.

http://weblogs.asp.net/dmarsh/articles/33932.aspx

I for one I'm happy that at least the intention is known.

What I really want to know is in the next 12 months, I will be advising application designers on what core technologies that they will use in their applications for at least the next 5 years. Web Services are great, but I really need more performance in terms of speed and data volume. .Net Remoting does currently give me that, whilst Web Services aren't currently as fast and this is noticable in terms of the data volumes my Enterprise deals with on a minute by minute basis.

Regards,

-Sabot

• User profile image
    Buzzby

I do not understand how Remoting could go away. 2 things lead me to this:

1. What would be the IPC replacement?

2. Web services are too slow for many applications - even if you strip away some of the overhead with WSE and DIME. Strictly binary data still exists, and many applications still need to move large chunks of it to and fro!

I work on an application that would be dead were it not for Remoting over HTTP Channel with Binary Formatter. We have to move megabytes of binary data all at once to our clients (Windows Forms Controls inside IE) for graphing. Web services, even using DIME, were too slow.

Additionally, this scheme leaves us a backup of moving to a TCP channel if we need an additional speedup. 

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.