Tech Off Thread

4 posts

.NET 1.1 SP1 C# Compiler Changes = Breaking Changes?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    erik

In SP1, it seems the C# compiler reports the use of unassigned variables in situations that it did not before. 

We have an application that compiles assemblies at install time (and others dynamically).  The SP1 compiler throws errors now where the previous version did not.

We'll fix that, but my question is whether strengthening compiler rules in a service pack ought to be considered a breaking change? 

I know the rationale was that compiler changes won't break already compiled code.

However, our customers now need a patch from us because SP1 is --in many cases -- being automatically installed as a critical patch via Windows Update.  I don't see the compiler change as all that critical. Thoughts?

- EJ

• User profile image
    robert

Interesting, but surally the reporting of an unassigne variable only yeilds a warning not an error? I this is the case the service pack won't break an existing build, just report more warning that it used to. I think that this is an acceptable change to be introduced via a service pack.

Of course it might break you're build if you're using the treat warnings as error switch, but you can always turn that off. (Or just fix your code).

• User profile image
    erik

I agree that new warnings are probably not going to break code generators and we can of course fix the code we generate.

But in this case, the compiler throws an error -- not a warning. 

Also, since this change is delivered by a "critical Windows update", the customer is likely to suffer the break before we get them the fix.

Thanks for the reply.

- EJ

• User profile image
    Kaelan

erik wrote:
    I agree that new warnings are probably not going to break code generators and we can of course fix the code we generate.

But in this case, the compiler throws an error -- not a warning. 

Also, since this change is delivered by a "critical Windows update", the customer is likely to suffer the break before we get them the fix.

Thanks for the reply.

- EJ

I think this breaks down to a 'Standards Compliance' issue of a sort. The C# compiler wasn't behaving to spec, and MS fixed it. This means that programs that were also not written to spec may not work anymore. This may be painful for you, but in the long run it benefits everyone.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.