Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Loadsgood

"Now that the storm has passed, all thoughts have gone with it and the head is clear."

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Someone needs to remove this guys profile and block his IP address.

Can you spell Troll?

I sure hope so.

• User profile image
    FluffyDevil​Bunny

Yawn.

I just want to know when was it that I died and made you God?

Anywho. Did you ever hear about "not reading that which offends thee". Hmmm. Just a thought really. If a Flame bothers you, then it is you that needs help. Things should never be so bad that you are actually offended or upset by what you read.

But hey, I am old so what would I know.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

'rjdotnert - Someone needs to remove this guys profile and block his IP address.

Can you spell Troll?

I sure hope so.'

This is my opinion, take it or leave it.
    "Troll", this is another reason they should make rules.

'FluffyDevilBunny - Yawn.

I just want to know when was it that I died and made you God?

Anywho. Did you ever hear about "not reading that which offends thee". Hmmm. Just a thought really. If a Flame bothers you, then it is you that needs help. Things should never be so bad that you are actually offended or upset by what you read.

But hey, I am old so what would I know.'

I didn't know you were god, I thought you were a devil bunny. If you don't think rascism againest your own race is offensive then you must be the devil... bunny.

• User profile image
    FluffyDevil​Bunny

I read all those posts and I see no racism going on here. Everybody has the right to an opinion and the right to voice it... even if the message is dislike for another individual. I do not wish to have my voice taken from me and therefore have no right to take it from anyone else.

I have lived in a racist world that you can't possibly understand (only 1 in every 200,000 of my kind exist), so do not lecture me on racism. But to allow others to know that you are so offended by thier statements, to lash out tells the other person that they are winning.

Freedom has a price. Pay it or lose it.

• User profile image
    John Melville-- MD

LoadsGood:
         If after 5 tries you don't get heard, maybe the sysadmins aren't lazy, maybe they just disagree.  Based on the comments, a lot of the users do too.  I know I do.

Your predictions regarding the demise of C9  seem quite overstated.  The usnet newsgroups seem to have survived flame wars for years, and channel 9 will survive in the same way.

You post 3 threads that have "burned to the ground."  But all three were light on technical content, possibly having none at all.  I read C9 for the technical threads and get social commentary elsewhere.  

My biggest disagreement, however, is not in assessment of the size of the problem, its the draconian solutions you propose that seem worse than the disease. 

Channel 9 is about democracy, and democracy -- at its very essence -- means people get to say things you don't like,  (Democracy also means not all your ideas will get implemented, often because others disagree.)  I also regret that C9 is not always appropriate for children, but I prefer that to a Big Brother sysadmin who edits/approves/can remove what I post.

I like the suggestion that I be able to personally indicate that I do not wish to read posts from another individual.  Even in the "real world" the right to speak is not the right to compel others to listen.  I suggest that this election be permanant.  After all the trolls (no names on my part) spitefully block one another, they may find no one left to argue with!! Wink

If C9 is a democracy, then this is my one voice, I am willing to put up with flame wars, trolls, racism, sexism, (fill in the blank)-ism, and even bad grammar to have a resource that I know is unedited and real.

That's my $0.02

• User profile image
    Varsity

I care. No really, I do.

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

I thought this issue was started in another thread...what you claim here is more of "social destruction", not a "technical destruction" (although the recent altering of certain thread style sheets through the use of the HTML editor may be viewed as a "technical destruction", it is more like minor graffiti). 

Therefore:

Channel_9 -> Forums -> The_Coffeehouse -> Msg_for_c9_admins -> ShowPost();

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.