Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Where's audio support in .NET??

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • Tank

Hi all,

I absolutely love the .NET Framework, but as a developer doing a audio application, where streaming audio in different formats is essential, I believe this is a major hole in the .NET experience. I have to use some 3rd party library like BASS + the BASS .NET wrapper. I don't think that is optimal in any way since many apps is going to have some kind of multimedia experience in the future.

I'd wish I could use the Windows Media Player control, but it's very limiting.

• Can only play Windows Media formats.
    • No recording functionality.
    • Have to use interop.
    I can't find any useful documentation on DirectSound with streaming audio.

Anyone with the same experience?

- Dan

• Minh

Hello Tank,

The DirectX SDK has .net code for using DirectSound -- and it has streaming a file sample too.

• Tank

Thanks, I'll look into it. Still wondering why there ain't any functionality built directly in the framework, but maybe .NET and DirectX will be merged some day.

Thanks again Smiley

- Dan

• littleguru

Sound is something that is really not a first citicien in .NET. They never did much for sound. The same was with compression, which became better with .NET 2.0

You could also look at WinFX for better sound support.

• JohnAskew

System.Media.SoundPlayer is a class that plays .wav files.
    You have control over the stream which is a property of the class.

I see nothing for video native in .NET 2.0.

• staceyw

Tank wrote:
    Hi all,

I absolutely love the .NET Framework, but as a developer doing a audio application, where streaming audio in different formats is essential, I believe this is a major hole in the .NET experience. I have to use some 3rd party library like BASS + the BASS .NET wrapper. I don't think that is optimal in any way since many apps is going to have some kind of multimedia experience in the future.

• Have to use interop.

- Dan

I agree.  It is a big whole.

• zhuo

staceyw wrote:

Tank wrote: Hi all,

• Have to use interop.

- Dan

I agree.  It is a big whole.

hehe, big whole eh?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.