Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS2003 project build file security weirdness

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I've got a VS2003 project that generates an XML file for documentation (it's a class library project), it's referenced by an ASP.NET project in the same solution, so when the Solution is built, the ASP.NET application's \bin directory gets the XML file.

The ASP.NET application is located on another machine on the network, and yet whenever I build it, it cannot copy over the updated XML file, yet it can with all the other files (like assemblies and pdbs)

It says "Access is denied" when it tried to copy it over. I investigated, when running Explorer as the Domain Administrator on the server itself, the XML file's property sheet lacks a "Security Tab", and using CACLS to view the current security settings on the file returns "Access is denied", I can't even delete the file.

So what the heck is going on here? Visual Studio on this computer is running under my user account which has a subset of the Domain Administrator's access rights, so how is it that VS is creating a file with permissions above the domain admin's?

• User profile image
    cheong

How about running "cacls <xml filename> /e /g Administrators:f" first, then use "cacls <xml filename>/e /r Administrators" when done?

EDIT: I overlooked that you've tried that already... :O

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    AndyC

Have you tried taking ownership of the file and granting the appropriate permissions (probably read/write but "view permissions" at least) to the Domain Administrator?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:
    Have you tried taking ownership of the file and granting the appropriate permissions (probably read/write but "view permissions" at least) to the Domain Administrator?

It says "Access is Denied" when I try to take ownership of the file by propagating permissions though the folder's child objects.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Have you added the Domain Admin account to the Local Administrators group? It isn't there by default, IIRC.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:
    Have you added the Domain Admin account to the Local Administrators group? It isn't there by default, IIRC.

It's on the domain controller itself

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.