Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

ASP.NET / RESX files

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Red5

Using either VS.NET 2003 or 2005, is there a way to add a webform and exclude the RESX file that automatically get included with it? 

The end result would be two files added: the .as*x file and a .vb or .cs file.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

in vs2005 all that is added to the project is the .as*x and .<lang> file

in vs2003.... I don't know but you could probably edit the item template in the VS templates directory if its anything like the vs2005 templates...

• User profile image
    Red5

Thanks.  Good idea on the templates, but my search has produced no fruit yet.

• User profile image
    Red5

A little gotcha in VS 2003.
    If you remove your RESX file(s) and work with your as*x page in HTML view, all is good.

If you remove your RESX file(s) and flip over to DESIGN view, VS2003 wants to add one back in for you automatically.  At least if you're using VSS, you'll get prompted.  And it is added as embedded content.

I am working on a website with over 1,200 pages.  That means when I use VS2003 to compile and test, it has to embed 1,200 unused objects (RESX's) into my uber dll.  I don't really care to bloat my DLL anymore than I need to.  Do this many, many times a day and the wait periods begin to add up. I think behind the scenes it is calling the exe to create a resource file from the xml document(RESX) and embed it.  Satellite assemblies??

Man, I hate how tools automatically do this kind of stuff.  At least give us the option to turn something off if we do not want it.  RESX files should not be REQUIRED to create a website.  They should be optional.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

when you say VSS you mean Source Safe right?.... have you tryed leaving the resx and just excluding it from the project? ....

Also have you tryed making a duplicate and converting it to VS2K5 to see if it will compile and run..... is there any reason if it will compile to not make it a .Net 2.0 website?

I hear you on the build times..... currently working on a project with over 5K+ files (images/scripts/themes/skins/dlls/as*x/class files etc) and building to test can take a real long time sometimes..... most of the that is just disk IO time tho

Though I'm doing it all in VS2K5 and VSS2K5 so no un-needed resx's......

• User profile image
    Red5

Ang3lFir3 wrote:
    when you say VSS you mean Source Safe right?.... have you tryed leaving the resx and just excluding it from the project? ....

Yes, Visual Source Safe.  That works, but if I ever switch to design view it becomes a minor headache. 

Ang3lFir3 wrote:
    Also have you tryed making a duplicate and converting it to VS2K5 to see if it will compile and run..... is there any reason if it will compile to not make it a .Net 2.0 website?

I'm in the midst of working on a conversion to VS2005, and it appears RESX files aren't an issue in that enviroment

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

I have a feeling that might be because of the way 2k3 rendered controls on the design canvas.... but its only a guess......

I have converted sites from VS2k3 to VS2k5 and dropped the resx's without consiquence.... so yeah they aren't an issue in VS2005......

sorry i couldn't be of much more help....good luck

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.