Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

SQL-SERVER 2005 Cant optimize RAM automaticly ???

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    JuNK64

Hello Guys

I am using SQL SERVER 2005 for an n-tier application
    When I call stored procedures I watch task manager and SQL SERVER ram usage dont decrease after ı close the applıcatıon . I refresh the sql server services and nothing happened again ...
    Until ı stop the servıce and start again
    I heard sql server 2005 optimizes ram automaticly but how ?

• User profile image
    Adrian​JMartin

I'm no expert on sql2005:

I doubt you will see sql2005 'give back' the memory until the system runs low on free memory. ie another task or process starts up that consumes all the free mem.

• User profile image
    JuNK64

My Computer has 1 gb ram and sql server uses 100 mb of it and nearly 600 mb of my ram is free actually .
    I understand  ıf my ram reaches the critical point (less than 50 mb maybe) sql server optimization starts ? Right ?

• User profile image
    gregoryw

Look at it another way: Unless the memory gets tight on the machine it may as well keep the cache populated, because it's not to the detriment of some other process but may benefit a future query. You can always configure the maximum RAM usage of SQL Server, if you like.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.