Tech Off Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

BSOD Blues

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    banistersmi​nd

Recently I decided to get into the wonderful world of video conferencing and audio conferencing, buying myself a Logitech Quickcam that had a cool little headset mike bundled with it. Got it all set up, tested the software with the hardware and thought I was a goer - until I tried out cam and mike with Skype, MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger...

I got the BSOD with an error message -

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

NDIS.sys address F82B8C00 base at F82A300

Now to cut a long story short I embarked on a long troubleshooting session with Logitech Support, Creative Labs (the maker of my soundcard) and the respective support services of the three applications mentioned above and all came up with nothing...(no surprise). However since I went back in and tried out the software with simple sound and video recording and found that I could do both without error. It was when I tried to use a web based app that all my troubles started. So now I'm thinking - modem. I have a D Link DSL 200 modem and I'm wondering whether my BSOD blues my be caused by that.

Has anyone else had this issue come up and if so - did they solve it and how???

[C]

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

ndis.sys would indeed suggest a network interface driver. See if there's an updated driver for your modem/network card.

• User profile image
    cokert

I had similar problems with my home system when using bittorrent.  It turned out that my card (don't remember what it is... netgear maybe?) had pretty crappy drivers and couldn't handle the network traffic generated by normal bittorrent use.  I would suspect that you're hitting the same issue.

In addition to checking for the latest drivers as the previous post mentioned, do a google search for your card and bittorrent.  In my case, I had the latest drivers, but those were problematic.  I found a page somewhere that mentioned the specific card and had and older set of drivers that could better handle the load generated by bittorrent.  Since I installed those drivers, I haven't had a single problem.

• User profile image
    banistersmi​nd

I have actually wondered about rolling back the modem driver in the hope that it might resolve the issue but I'm a bit fearful that doing so might cause me extra problems. I have a ADSL connection that is 64kps upstream and 1500kps downstream - would these figures make audio conferencing out of reach for me?

I've also considered flashing my BIOS as was suggested by tech support at the D Link site and looking for an updated USB driver.

Forgive my ignorance but what does the term bittorrent mean?

• User profile image
    cheong

banistersmind wrote:

I have actually wondered about rolling back the modem driver in the hope that it might resolve the issue but I'm a bit fearful that doing so might cause me extra problems. I have a ADSL connection that is 64kps upstream and 1500kps downstream - would these figures make audio conferencing out of reach for me?

I've also considered flashing my BIOS as was suggested by tech support at the D Link site and looking for an updated USB driver.

Updating BIOS/driver versions may do, but I believe it could be other causes... I'll try remove all unnecessary hardwares than put them back one-by-one each reboot to find out what is causing the problem.

In driver BSODs, the displayed module does not necessarily always be the offending driver.

Expect some lag in video conference if it's 1.5mb/s only. I've tried it with NetMeeting at similar speed a few years ago.

banistersmind wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but what does the term bittorrent mean?

BitTorrent is a P2P file transfer technology that opens multiple connections at high transfer rate.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    banistersmi​nd

Is bittorrent relevant to my problem - ie: would using this application potentially resolve my issue or am I way out of the ball park...?

Perplexed

• User profile image
    cheong

banistersmind wrote:
    Is bittorrent relevant to my problem - ie: would using this application potentially resolve my issue or am I way out of the ball park...?

No. Cokert is suggesting this may be the cause of your problem if you're using this. But since you apparently doesn't know it, it's most probably irrelevent.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    banistersmi​nd

Surfing the D Link Tech support website today I have found a possible solution which I have yet to try out. In it they are talking about the Windows XP Network Media Sensing Feature. I wonder if anyone has had any success with disabling this feature...

Sad

• User profile image
    cokert

cheong wrote:

banistersmind wrote: Is bittorrent relevant to my problem - ie: would using this application potentially resolve my issue or am I way out of the ball park...?

No. Cokert is suggesting this may be the cause of your problem if you're using this. But since you apparently doesn't know it, it's most probably irrelevent.

What i was meaning was I saw a similar problem under high network load (incidentally while using bittorrent).  I would imagine that the teleconferencing app would generate a rather high traffic load as well, so the cause of both problems could ultimately be the same. 

And since bittorrent is rather widely used, someone may have found a specific problem with your hardware setup concerning network load, and I was suggesting you look for issues with your hardware while using bittorrent (not because you're using bittorrent, but because they both generate a high network load....)

does this make sense now?

• User profile image
    ElucidWeb

Yeah my router use to lockup during Video Conferencing, come to find out it was incompatible with the packets based on the information from their website at least.  I still cant comprehend how that messed it up but it did, every single time I tried it boom all internet access on my entire network GONE. 

So I got a new one and everything works great, this isnt related to your issue but I wanted to mention it because it goes to show the this stuff happens all over the place with poorly written network code.

• User profile image
    banistersmi​nd

Success!!!

I've solved the problem - the suggestion was made that I flash my BIOS, and look at the modem driver. While I didn't flash the BIOS (cos I've heard alot of bad stories about motherboards dying on the operating table) I, instead, uninstalled my modem and reinstalled it with an older driver and VOILA, the blue screen of death is gone and I can successfully video conference!

Thanks to all on this page who offered suggestions which enabled me to keep at the problem until I broke it's back...

Big Smile

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.