Tech Off Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is an XHTML+CSS compatible MOSS 2007 possible?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    who

Howdy folks,

I am trying to find info on something that hasnt been discussed about MOSS 2007 - CSS+XHTML compatibilty.

I was dissapointed to see the kind of markup that MOSS generated, namely capitalized tags and tables instead of CSS for layout.  

CSS layouts in MOSS 2007 are possible by creating a masterpage, but HTML markup generated by MOSS, such as HTML for a WebPart, does not adhere to the doctype standards of the masterpage.  For example, I created an XHTML 1.0 strict masterpage, using CSS 2.1 standards for layout. As soon as I converted it to a masterpage and applied it to my Beta 2 site, MOSS generated code that was not XHTML compliant.

To me, this is a very large issue. In this day and age, staying current on web standards is key to the success of a website.  

Does anyone else share my sentiment, or have you heard the same from anyone else?

Thanks,

who

• User profile image
    Custa1200

who wrote:
    Howdy folks,

I am trying to find info on something that hasnt been discussed about MOSS 2007 - CSS+XHTML compatibilty.

I was dissapointed to see the kind of markup that MOSS generated, namely capitalized tags and tables instead of CSS for layout.  

CSS layouts in MOSS 2007 are possible by creating a masterpage, but HTML markup generated by MOSS, such as HTML for a WebPart, does not adhere to the doctype standards of the masterpage.  For example, I created an XHTML 1.0 strict masterpage, using CSS 2.1 standards for layout. As soon as I converted it to a masterpage and applied it to my Beta 2 site, MOSS generated code that was not XHTML compliant.

To me, this is a very large issue. In this day and age, staying current on web standards is key to the success of a website.  

Does anyone else share my sentiment, or have you heard the same from anyone else?

Thanks,

who

If this is the case this is an extremely bad thing. We have MOSS firmly on our roadmap at a company that has 800 employees and 500,000 subscribers. If it looks like MOSS f@#ks with painstakingly created markup and standards based layout, my recommendation to management might be to start looking for different solutions now. While our current CMS, document management and Lotus apps are not perfect we have got them to a stage where they won't produce crap markup. Be terrible to think we are going to head backwards with an "upgrade".

Can somebody from the MOSS team please clarify where this stands how as well as where it is currently planned to be by RTM.

• User profile image
    who

Custa1200 wrote:

If this is the case this is an extremely bad thing. We have MOSS firmly on our roadmap at a company that has 800 employees and 500,000 subscribers. If it looks like MOSS f@#ks with painstakingly created markup and standards based layout, my recommendation to management might be to start looking for different solutions now. While our current CMS, document management and Lotus apps are not perfect we have got them to a stage where they won't produce crap markup. Be terrible to think we are going to head backwards with an "upgrade".

Can somebody from the MOSS team please clarify where this stands how as well as where it is currently planned to be by RTM.

Finally, someone shares my worries!

Like I said in my original post, I created a layout using XHTML 1.0 strict  and CSS 2.1.  It validated and was browser compliant all the way back to Mac IE 5.x.  However, after converting it to a masterpage and using it in a sharepoint 2007 page, it doesnt validate. 

Sharepoint NEEDS to have a way to generate standards compliant markup.  From what I can forsee, this is something that will make or break many potential sharepoint 2007 customers.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

who wrote:
    Sharepoint NEEDS to have a way to generate standards compliant markup.  From what I can forsee, this is something that will make or break many potential sharepoint 2007 customers.

I think the fact that it will be released very soon, I doubt you're going to get this.

• User profile image
    who

UPDATE:

Using CSS Control Adapters, Sharepoint 2007 can become more CSS friendly.  For a basic demonstration / proof of concept, have a look at this article on TamTam Weblogs.

For those of us who are CSS-vs-tables-layout savvy, this is a very welcome concept!

Regards
    -who

• User profile image
    rhm

What is MOSS 2007? Did I miss a memo...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

rhm wrote:
    What is MOSS 2007? Did I miss a memo...

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

W3bbo wrote:

rhm wrote:What is MOSS 2007? Did I miss a memo...

I missed that change too -- when did it stop being just Sharepoint? Perplexed

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Dr Herbie wrote:

W3bbo wrote:
    rhm wrote:What is MOSS 2007? Did I miss a memo...

I missed that change too -- when did it stop being just Sharepoint?

When they integrated Office directly into SharePoint in Office 2003.

You're lucky they didn't call it "Microsoft Office System SharePoint Team Services Server 2007"

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Just as a note why are you using XHMTL doctype? IE doesnt even recognise it I thought it just parses it as SGML anyway  therefore HTML 4.01 strict doctype would be more appropriate Perplexed

• User profile image
    who

Because XHTML is the future, silly.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

who wrote:
    Because XHTML is the future, silly.

Yeah keyword FUTURE, not now.

Until all browsers parse XML properly then id stick to HTML 4.01

• User profile image
    ians555

Isn't 2007 in the future? Perhaps we should all wait until 1st January before we start using MOSS? Wink

Is anyone from Microsoft going to fill us in on whether this is something that's going to happen in the full release??

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.