Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

sending a hotmail using .NET

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    bonk

Is there a way to send an email (System.NET.Mail or some other .NET API) from a .NET app using a hotmail account. I just want to use a hotmail emailadress as the sender adress. It looks like using System.NET.Mail requires me to specify an smtp server but hotmail/live mail does not supply such.

• User profile image
    blowdart

bonk wrote:
    Is there a way to send an email (System.NET.Mail or some other .NET API) from a .NET app using a hotmail account. I just want to use a hotmail emailadress as the sender adress. It looks like using System.NET.Mail requires me to specify an smtp server but hotmail/live mail does not supply such.

Simple answer; No.

Hotmail doesn't expose an SMTP server at all. It uses a version of WebDAV, so you're out of luck

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

If you have an SMTP server handy, you can send mail using whatever "From" address you want.

You'll break Sender ID and SPF, though, unless you take the following precaution:

Make sure to set the Sender property to an email that is actually local to the site you're sending from.

This will generate an email with an envelope-sender of whatever-you-set-Sender-to, but a From address of the @hotmail.com address.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Matthew van Eerde wrote:
    If you have an SMTP server handy, you can send mail using whatever "From" address you want.

You'll break Sender ID and SPF, though, unless you take the following precaution:

Make sure to set the Sender property to an email that is actually local to the site you're sending from.

This will generate an email with an envelope-sender of whatever-you-set-Sender-to, but a From address of the @hotmail.com address.

Back in the good ol' days, spoofing was so much more fun with all the open relays just laying around.

I remember a time when the whitehouse smtp servers were open to unauthenticated relay, boy that was fun Smiley

• User profile image
    jongallant

• User profile image
    littleguru

jongallant wrote:

Interesting?! Perplexed

• User profile image
    MasterPi

littleguru wrote:

jongallant wrote:

Interesting?!

Quite remarkable, really, if I do say so myself!

Tongue Out

(Guess he had something to say, but the cat-borg caught his tongue)

• User profile image
    figuerres

bonk wrote:

WHY? 

if you have any legit need to send email from an app use a legit sender address.

faking the sender not cool.

if you have a domain name then just setup an smtp server for outbound mail, you can do that cheap many ways....

for example:

http://www.lumisoft.ee/lsWWW/ENG/Products/Mail_Server/mail_index_eng.aspx?type=info

a free open source complete mail server package. setup an MX record and configure that with just a postmaster and an address you can use to send emails.

then for example you could send an email as webmaster@domain.com from a website and be 100% legit and play by the rules of valid SMTP emails.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.