Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Command line interface feedback

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    JKelley

Hi 9'ers.  I'm looking for some more of your opinions (I know you've all got them, lots of them).  This time the subject is Command Line interfaces.  If you're interested in helping me out you can read the details over at my blog http://blogs.msdn.com/JeremyKelley

The more feedback I get from you all the better the end result for this project will be.  As always feel free to send feedback as comments on the blog, or here in this thread.  Last time, you guys gave me some great suggestions that really helped nail down the direction of the project.  Thanks! 

-Jeremy

• User profile image
    Antitorgo

Reposting your questions here, so it'll make the thread a little easier to read:

Questions

1) As a developer do you use command line tools or do you stay inside the IDE?

2) What kinds of tools do you think benefit from having command line interfaces?

3) Under what scenarios do you choose to use a command line interface when a GUI one is available for the same tool?

My Answers:

1) 95% of the time, in the IDE
    2) Small quick jobs that I might want to batch
    3) If I might want to batch a job, or run it across several files, then I'd prefer the command line.

Really, I think that if at all possible, both a command-line and GUI interface are ideal (where it makes sense). Even better would be to also include an API as well, so it can be called from another .NET program or whatever. Big Smile
  • User profile image
    cheong

Antitorgo wrote:

Questions

1) As a developer do you use command line tools or do you stay inside the IDE?

2) What kinds of tools do you think benefit from having command line interfaces?

3) Under what scenarios do you choose to use a command line interface when a GUI one is available for the same tool?

1) 90% IDE vs 10% command line. As I do have a few project that's cross platform and requires "make".

2) Command-line support is essential to generate "makefile".

3) Same as above.

And note that sometimes certain utilities are so powerful and configurable that using GUI would require a few pages. It'll be neater if a commandline interface is provided and let users specify switches for non-default options only.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.