Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Copy/Paste needs a SKIP button.

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    dentaku

I just stumbled onto an annoyance I have with Windows Explorer for the millionth  time (ok, big exaggeration) and I'm hoping they fixed it in Vista. I haven't used Vista enough to know if this is true.

The Copy/Paste command NEEDS a skip button.

If you're copying a huge amount of files and folders from one place to another and for some reason one of those files is inaccessible it will just stop right there, give you an error as to what file is at fault and gives up. It's now up to you to figure out what copied correctly and what hasn't been copied yet.

If we had a SKIP button it would just keep on going and ignore the bad file. Maybe at the the end it could even give you list with the full path to the file/files it skipped.
    I know it's probably possible to do this from the command prompt but in Explorer it's not.

How handy would that be?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Vista has huge improvements in this area. It will allow you to continue if some of the files can't be copied. Also, if it comes across a duplicate file name, it'll allow you to choose whether you want to overwrite, keep the one in the destination folder, or give the one you're copying a unique name (adds a (2) to the file name), of course with an "apply to all" checkbox. And, if it runs out of disk space while copying, it will tell you how much more additional space is needed, then you can free up space and let it continue after you've done that.

Sure, everybody talks about the big things, Aero Glass, IE7, the UAC, search and what not, but it's little things such as the improved file copying workflow that I miss the mostwhen I'm in XP. Smiley

• User profile image
    j0217995

One thing I enjoy about Kubuntu (perhaps a KDE feature) is the Auto-Skip button when copying and pasting a large amount of files.  I select a group of files and copy and paste them to a different location.  Any files that are similar I can "Auto-Skip" so instead of overwriting them it skips and moves on to the next files.

• User profile image
    dentaku

j0217995 wrote:
    One thing I enjoy about Kubuntu (perhaps a KDE feature) is the Auto-Skip button when copying and pasting a large amount of files.  I select a group of files and copy and paste them to a different location.  Any files that are similar I can "Auto-Skip" so instead of overwriting them it skips and moves on to the next files.

Nice, I like that concept.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Sven Groot wrote:

Sure, everybody talks about the big things, Aero Glass, IE7, the UAC, search and what not, but it's little things such as the improved file copying workflow that I miss the mostwhen I'm in XP.

True, it's the things that make living every day with an OS that count. Unfortunately it doesn't create hype like fancy new UI features.

Now that you mention it I remember the automatic file numbering thing when it encounters duplicate filenames. I installed XP on the drive I had Vista on 2 nights ago so I had no way to test it out myself.

• User profile image
    StretchMan

I'm not sure... but I think there's a gazillion of clipboard managers! Not one of them have this "skip" fonctionnality your looking for ?

• User profile image
    dentaku

StretchMan wrote:

I'm not sure... but I think there's a gazillion of clipboard managers! Not one of them have this "skip" fonctionnality your looking for ?

Probabaly, it's just that it would be nice to have had it included in XP.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.