Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

get file and directory info from remote machine

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    shax

Hi,

i need to access to some files and directories over a remote machine to retreive some info but i don't understand the permissions on fileinfo and directoryinfo, i've a user and a password, where do i put them to gain access to the files? Is there any other way to access files?

• User profile image
    figuerres

one way is to use the windows networking calls.

I belive there are .net calls for this.

I'm refering to maping a share name like this:

local PC

map Z:\ to \\computername\foldername

this requires "foldername" to be shared on the remote pc.

you will use the username and password to create a credentails object to pass along.

also you may use:

WMI -- WIndows Managemnt Interface

or

Active Directory

• User profile image
    shax

i wanted to use wmi or adsi but i don't find any classes to work with files and by the way, the folder i'm trying to access isn't markes as shared.

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

We had to do a similar thing with remote machines over the internet (different domains and stuff, no shared folders, ...) and solved it by writing a "filesystem" webservice.

It also makes security A LOT easier as you only have to worry about local security. (it can be enough to put impersonation in your web.config)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.