Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Error Reporting Software

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    z2bass

Hi. I am in search for an exception/error reporting software package that can be used to plug-into windows forms apps. I currently know of these:

- Shareware Starter Kit
    - Luka Framework
    - BugSentry by IT Collaborate

If you know of any, please share!

THANKS!!!!!!
    Zack

• User profile image
    cheong

z2bass wrote:
    Hi. I am in search for an exception/error reporting software package that can be used to plug-into windows forms apps. I currently know of these:

- Shareware Starter Kit
    - Luka Framework
    - BugSentry by IT Collaborate

If you know of any, please share!

THANKS!!!!!!
    Zack

Is it a .NET project or whatever?

Actually, depending on what you want to do, it can be as simple as using System.Web.Mail to send out the Exception.Message to your dedicated email account. Or if it's a part of big project, you can save it to database then drain the data back periodically.

An example for Web application can be found here.

Personally, I don't feel there's a need for exception reporting package as it can be easily home-maded.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Antitorgo

log4net rocks.

• User profile image
    zhuo

Antitorgo wrote:

log4net rocks.

I've heard a lot of good things about log4net, i never got around to using it because i've built a little log class that seems to work just fine.

• User profile image
    qwert231

I created a custom error reporting Web Service, so our web apps, or windows forms apps can both use the same interface. I pass the error, a string with the app name, the IP of the offending code, and some other custom details. Then I store it in a database, with a web page to view them. You could easily make the web service e-mail the tech support people.

I would definetly recommend the Web Service approach for it's portability.

You can see my web page front end here:
    http://mark.phillk.net/images/errorCollector.jpg

• User profile image
    ubercoder

I've been looking for something like this.

If you want and get some time can you please upload something to the sandbox??

Thanks.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.