Tech Off Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

salvo fired by Java! C#: Is the Party Over?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    anilp
  • User profile image
    Tensor

Couldnt give a monekys one way or another - i'll use whatever tools are the right ones at the time, but this guy has a huge chip on his shoulder, and is not what you would call very well versed in the facts.

the article wrote:

In addition, the underground community site, gotdotnet.org, has undergone significant site and management changes

underground. riiiiiiiiight.

the article wrote:

Is the C# party over? If the plan of C# was to slow the defection of Visual C++ developers to Java, then it was certainly better than nothing.

Yeah, that was its aim. Thats it. Sure. Perplexed

• User profile image
    Antitorgo

Using C# to try and get people to defect to VC++? What crack is this guy smoking? Is he even a developer?

My language preference in this order:
    C#
    VC++
    Java
    VB.NET

I wonder what his response is to things like IronPython and RubyCLR? http://www.eweek.com/article2/0%2c1895%2c2001143%2c00.asp

To me, the JVM party is what is over. The CLR has it beat in so many ways... I just wish it ran on more platforms. Wink

• User profile image
    jimMarriott

It looks as though something's gone screwy with the dates on the orginal article - it's dated this year but the responses it links to are from a year ago. I suspect this is an old article but that JDJ's Java based web-site has got a little overwhlemed with date-handling.

Perhaps they should have written the site in C# - as far as I can see it's momentum is growing while Java's fragmentation continues apace. Wink

• User profile image
    jb43081

C# is stuggeling!?

Could have fooled me, out .NET business outnumbers our Java business by about four to one. And 90% of the .NET business is C#.

Think this guy just needs a nap or something, he seems kind of cranky. Wink

• User profile image
    zhuo

.NET definitely have the upper hand in terms of job numbers downunder. At least that's my perception of the job market at current time.

The dude on that link really doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. Ignore him.

• User profile image
    Gambit

jimMarriott wrote:

Perhaps they should have written the site in C# - as far as I can see it's momentum is growing while Java's fragmentation continues apace. Wink

LOL, that was my thought after the page loaded up so slowly..

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

I love how open source magically makes Java better.  As if no one has written any OSS in C#

• User profile image
    wkempf

Antitorgo wrote:

Using C# to try and get people to defect to VC++? What crack is this guy smoking? Is he even a developer?

C#
    VC++
    Java
    VB.NET

I wonder what his response is to things like IronPython and RubyCLR? http://www.eweek.com/article2/0%2c1895%2c2001143%2c00.asp

To me, the JVM party is what is over. The CLR has it beat in so many ways... I just wish it ran on more platforms. Wink

Name a platform it doesn't run on that Java does.

There are some MS specific libraries missing, but the CLR is complete in Mono (as well as other's) and runs pretty much every where Java will.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

wkempf wrote:

Antitorgo wrote: 

C#
    VC++
    Java
    VB.NET

Name a platform it doesn't run on that Java does.

AIX 5.2.

wkempf wrote:

There are some MS specific libraries missing, but the CLR is complete in Mono (as well as other's) and runs pretty much every where Java will.

So you'd best be sure that you don't write code that uses those MS specific libraries. 

I agree that the article is crap, but Mono is not all that it says it is.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Mono is supposed to be supported on AIX.

As for the libraries... not really relevant.  For every library that's MS specific, there's an alternate, portable, library.

• User profile image
    Minh

It's a fact that the quality bar for tech articles / books are sometimes shockingly low.

Edit:

Article's author / Calvin Austin wrote:

One of my tasks at Sun was to keep abreast of the technologies in the marketplace that competed with Java. At certain points in the release we would summarize where we were compared to other technologies and, if necessary, focus on areas where we could improve.

Sun's stock price today 4.44

Nice going, Calvin. As a stock owner, I'd like to say "you're FIRED!"

">http://www.theoaklandpress.com/images/photos4.8/6905_512.jpg">

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

What a BS article, it's flawed in so many ways!
    Can be classified in the trash bin, there is really nothing to discuss.

• User profile image
    aoporto

To say C# is struggling would be the same as saying .NET is struggling.  Utter nonsense.  Microsoft has done a great job marketing both, and C# is my weapon of choice.  The enhancements to the 2.0 framework are fantastic, and more mission critical apps are being written in .NET.  The bottom line is, we should really be asking: Is the Java party over?  The only chance they have is open sourcing Java, because Sun has blown all their chances so far at properly marketing it.  I was at PDC '05, and the excitement over Vista and .NET 2.0 was huge.  The momentum is now with .NET and LAMP, and I prefer .NET.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

Calvin Austin / Article Author wrote:

Calvin Austin commented on the 10 Nov 2005:

Its about 5 months since I wrote this article. Microsoft are now talking about C# 3.0, with even more language changes. No news on C# adoption from Microsoft.com, no customer cases, no customer testomonials on any kind on new launch pages.

Looks pretty lonely out there for C# developers.

Pretty lonely.. err right..  ...I think somebody has their head buried in the Java sandbox.

I'm not being biased, I've used Java and I often use PHP, but Calvin is clearly out of touch.
  • User profile image
    Another_​Darren

Calvin Austin / Article Author wrote:

Calvin Austin commented on the 10 Nov 2005:

Its about 5 months since I wrote this article. Microsoft are now talking about C# 3.0, with even more language changes. No news on C# adoption from Microsoft.com, no customer cases, no customer testomonials on any kind on new launch pages.

Looks pretty lonely out there for C# developers.

[/quote]

"even more language changes", and how many revisions of Java has there been?  And remember the 2 to 5 leap because of the major changes to it.

"No news on C# adoption from Microsoft.com, no customer cases, no customer testomonials on any kind on new launch pages.", try reading an non-Java mag or web site idiot!
  • User profile image
    AdityaG

*reads article*

Sommmeone didn't get their PMS medication...

• User profile image
    jb43081

DoomBringer wrote:
    I love how open source magically makes Java better.  As if no one has written any OSS in C#

All the Open Source people act likes it's some silver bullet that magically erases all possiblity to defects in a product, platform or language.

The problem is that when one does turn up, suddenly the finger pointing begins and noone is willing to take responsibility for it. If you can get them to acknowledge you at all...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.