Tech Off Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Can I get an idea how many of you have started using .net 2.0 commercially?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    zhuo

Can I get an idea how many of you have started using .net 2.0 commercially?

• User profile image
    Larsenal

I have.

• User profile image
    jb43081

Larsenal wrote:
    I have.

Same here. About a dozen projects since the "go live" license. Some in the over $2 million range.

• User profile image
    zhuo

jb43081 wrote:

Larsenal wrote: I have.

Same here. About a dozen projects since the "go live" license. Some in the over $2 million range.

how many people's working on the project? and for how long? in fact what kind of project is it for you which you get $2 mil? I really want to know, hehe. 

• User profile image
    supun

Me too, Both WinForms & ASP .NET. It really speeds up the development times (learning times not included Big Smile)

• User profile image
    Larsenal

zhuo wrote:

supun wrote:Me too, Both WinForms & ASP .NET. It really speeds up the development times (learning times not included Big Smile)

In your opinion, what features of .net 2.0 helped facilitat these improvement in development time?

Generics and an improved IDE are my top two features.

• User profile image
    zhuo

supun wrote:
    Me too, Both WinForms & ASP .NET. It really speeds up the development times (learning times not included Big Smile)

In your opinion, what features of .net 2.0 helped facilitate these improvement in development time?

• User profile image
    irascian

All new projects are being done in .NET 2.0 here.

• User profile image
    figuerres

started last year during beta / go-live

Generics, CLick Once, asp.net master pages, asp.net membership

large client - system with CE.Net 4.1 hand helds running .Net CF 1.x
    servers and desktop pc's running 2.0

sql 2005 and sql reporting services.

web services letting the client pc's and handhelds send data back to the data center accross firewalls and such.

6K to 8K orders a day x 6 days a week.

plus other traffic like voids, updates, admin functions etc....

40-60 handhelds , 40-60 pc's and a small number of admin staff on the web site (admin web)

servers are Dell dual proc -- nothing super expensive.

I can't go into much more detail due to legal agreements.

• User profile image
    will

As far as apps go, I've only done work with the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 (done using CF 2 from scratch).

Although, hoping to convert a fairly decent sized ASP.NET 1.0 app to 2.0 when time permits.

• User profile image
    zokbari

I have, too. since beta2.

I was a Java guy, not a .NET before. However, C#2.0 is somewhat beautiful and needs not long time to learn.

Only within 2 month, ASP.NET and C#.NET is our (my?) major dev environment. This is a remarkable shift time.

ASP.NET 2.0: Making general homepage and intranet also. over 20 pages.

C#.NET: over 5 product.

I work in a goverment research group.

Since VS2005 is so powerful especially in Debugging feature, I addict to use 2.0 language which is tied strongly with VS2005.
    Big Smile

.NET 2.0 gives reliable and stable results which can run over 2 month without failure.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I don't plan on upgrading any 1.1 apps to 2.0 yet because I do not see any major benefit. Any new apps however will be proposed to be in 2.0.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

been writing all new applications since the launch event in .net 2.0

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

We have, since the beta/go-live stage already.

Couldn't live without generics!!!

• User profile image
    jb43081

zhuo wrote:

jb43081 wrote: 
    Larsenal wrote: I have.

how many people's working on the project? and for how long? in fact what kind of project is it for you which you get $2 mil? I really want to know, hehe. 

We're a custom software/consulting firm, so it's been a variety of projects from things like engineering applications to law enforcement applications and even some for educational institutions. The 2mil one is a dozen person project for an insurance company.

• User profile image
    jb43081

Larsenal wrote:

zhuo wrote: 
    supun wrote: Me too, Both WinForms & ASP .NET. It really speeds up the development times (learning times not included Big Smile)

In your opinion, what features of .net 2.0 helped facilitat these improvement in development time?

Generics and an improved IDE are my top two features.

Agreed, those are two biggies. Master pages are a big help as well.

And if you can swing it, and have the time to tailor it to fit your methodology, Team Foundation Server is a HUGE benefit as well!

Another thing that's helped speed us along is using Service Factory.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Yes, 2.0's generics are very nice, as well as the new Software Factories that jb mentions...

• User profile image
    AspNetGeek

Yep. Since beta 2!

Even during beta 1 I was trying to create controls that opperated with the same functionality as 2.0 so I could easily make the transition from .NET 1.1 to 2.0 in my web apps. I honestly haven't heard much about .net 1.1 anymore since the Visual Studio 2005 environment is so awesome.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.