Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How many of you have seriouly looked at the dataaccess application block and what did you think of i

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    zhuo

How many of you have seriouly looked at the dataaccess application block and what did you think of it?

I thought it's not that impressive after a fairly detailed look at it. And frankly it doesn't really constitute an application block as I would have expect of it.

Love to hear from you, could start another discussion on this.

• User profile image
    Antitorgo

The older version had a couple of quirks, but I used it a lot and thought it was great.

Being able to just call ExecuteDataSet(connection, myStoredProc, parm1, parm2, etc...) was sooo much better than having to create a DataSet and DataAdapters and so forth...

What didn't you like about it?

• User profile image
    zhuo

Antitorgo wrote:
    The older version had a couple of quirks, but I used it a lot and thought it was great.

Being able to just call ExecuteDataSet(connection, myStoredProc, parm1, parm2, etc...) was sooo much better than having to create a DataSet and DataAdapters and so forth...

I thought it was ok, one thing which i particularly didn't like is the array of params used because it makes code unreadbable when using it in UI or business layer code, especially when multiple params are used as output. Although I understand it needs to be used because it needs to be generic.

But I guess as a generic base class, it's actually not that bad, i guess i could build my data access layer on top of this block to save a lot of coding.

What I really wanted to see is what are other people's opinion of it.

• User profile image
    ElucidWeb

Enterprise Library!  Thats all I have to say really, its used extensively in the business world and I have been on a TON of projects that have used it successfully!  It works great, its fast, its easy to extend its just good stuff!

• User profile image
    Antitorgo

zhuo wrote:

Antitorgo wrote: The older version had a couple of quirks, but I used it a lot and thought it was great.

I thought it was ok, one thing which i particularly didn't like is the array of params used because it makes code unreadbable when using it in UI or business layer code, especially when multiple params are used as output. Although I understand it needs to be used because it needs to be generic.

You do realized that it is a param array, so you don't need to explicitly specify an array for the params.

Ex: ExecuteDataSet(conn, "spSomething", parm1, parm2);

zhuo wrote:

But I guess as a generic base class, it's actually not that bad, i guess i could build my data access layer on top of this block to save a lot of coding.

That is exactly how I used it.

• User profile image
    Antitorgo

ElucidWeb wrote:
    Enterprise Library!  Thats all I have to say really, its used extensively in the business world and I have been on a TON of projects that have used it successfully!  It works great, its fast, its easy to extend its just good stuff!

Ugh. My problem w/ the Enterprise Library was that the Data App Block all the sudden required the Enterprise Logging App Block (or whatever the called it) to be set up correctly (which was so incredibly complicated to configure). Especially since I use log4net.

I'm a firm believer that the Application Blocks should be independent of each other if possible.

• User profile image
    zhuo

Antitorgo wrote:

ElucidWeb wrote: Enterprise Library!  Thats all I have to say really, its used extensively in the business world and I have been on a TON of projects that have used it successfully!  It works great, its fast, its easy to extend its just good stuff!

Ugh. My problem w/ the Enterprise Library was that the Data App Block all the sudden required the Enterprise Logging App Block (or whatever the called it) to be set up correctly (which was so incredibly complicated to configure). Especially since I use log4net.

I'm a firm believer that the Application Blocks should be independent of each other if possible.

I couldn't agree more, I think they should be used as building blocks for our applications. Inevitably we will need to add to it to suit our purpose.

Given your observation that there's a dependency on the logging block, i want to add that I think there's no need to log errors from within the application blocks. If any exception is being caught then it should either throw a custom exception or alternatively just let it bubble up. I am a firm believer that exceptions should be caught and handled at the highest level where you could in fact decide on an appropriate action for the error.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.