Tech Off Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

.Net, WinForms, and RadioButtons

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    object88

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but in the Win32 world, wasn't there a way to access a group of RadioButtons?  So you could do something like:

RadioButton checkedButton = myRadioButtonGroup.SelectedButton;

or something?

Is there any way to do that in .Net?  I have a collection of 16 radio buttons, and I need to programmatically select 1... and at the moment, I've got this stupid-long switch statement calling out each radio button individually if it's to be selected.  I.e.:

RadioButton checkedButton;
    if (myRadioButton1.Checked)
    {
       checkedButton = myRadioButton1;
    }
    else if (myRadioButton2.Checked)
    {
       checkedButton = myRadioButton2;
    }
    else
    {
       checkedButton = myRadioButton16;
    }

That just seems silly.

• User profile image
    Manip

If it was *me* I would change your method..

Add an event to all your RadioButtons pointing to the same event handler like this:

this.radioButton1.CheckedChanged += new System.EventHandler(checkedBox);

this.radioButton2.CheckedChanged += new System.EventHandler(checkedBox);

// ---------------------------

public void checkedBox(object x, System.EventArgs y)

{

MessageBox.Show(((RadioButton)x).Checked.ToString());

}

Assuming you don't want a quick and dirty solution - you could also loop though the form controls collection. You have to figure that one out on your own though. Smiley

• User profile image
    themaffeo

Manip wrote:

Assuming you don't want a quick and dirty solution - you could also loop though the form controls collection. You have to figure that one out on your own though. Smiley

Hmm, I'm not sure If i Would call it dirty...  Personally I like the looping better because its more extensible, If i ever add/remove controls at either design time or run time I dont have to wory about handlers. 

Here is how I would probably do it:

Dim ctrl As Control
    Dim rdo As RadioButton
    For Each ctrl In Me.Controls
       If TypeOf ctrl Is RadioButton Then
          rdo = CType(ctrl, RadioButton)
          If rdo.Checked Then
             MessageBox.Show(rdo.Text)
          End If
       End If
    Next

Then again, events would be a fun way to do it.  Great. Now I'm all conflicted.  I suppose in the end the event based model would be slightly faster, especially on a form that is heavy with controls.

In any case, now you have two ways of solving your questio.

• User profile image
    object88

Both good suggestions, but I have several groups of radio buttons for different purposes, and I need to know what button is selected outside of the scope of an event.

I ended up writing a simple wrapper class that just manages an ArrayList of RadioButtons.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.