Tech Off Thread

4 posts

.Net, WinForms, and RadioButtons

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    object88

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but in the Win32 world, wasn't there a way to access a group of RadioButtons?  So you could do something like:

RadioButton checkedButton = myRadioButtonGroup.SelectedButton;

or something?

Is there any way to do that in .Net?  I have a collection of 16 radio buttons, and I need to programmatically select 1... and at the moment, I've got this stupid-long switch statement calling out each radio button individually if it's to be selected.  I.e.:

RadioButton checkedButton;
    if (myRadioButton1.Checked)
    {
       checkedButton = myRadioButton1;
    }
    else if (myRadioButton2.Checked)
    {
       checkedButton = myRadioButton2;
    }
    else
    {
       checkedButton = myRadioButton16;
    }

That just seems silly.

• User profile image
    Manip

If it was *me* I would change your method..

Add an event to all your RadioButtons pointing to the same event handler like this:

this.radioButton1.CheckedChanged += new System.EventHandler(checkedBox);

this.radioButton2.CheckedChanged += new System.EventHandler(checkedBox);

// ---------------------------

public void checkedBox(object x, System.EventArgs y)

{

MessageBox.Show(((RadioButton)x).Checked.ToString());

}

Assuming you don't want a quick and dirty solution - you could also loop though the form controls collection. You have to figure that one out on your own though. Smiley

• User profile image
    themaffeo

Manip wrote:

Assuming you don't want a quick and dirty solution - you could also loop though the form controls collection. You have to figure that one out on your own though. Smiley

Hmm, I'm not sure If i Would call it dirty...  Personally I like the looping better because its more extensible, If i ever add/remove controls at either design time or run time I dont have to wory about handlers. 

Here is how I would probably do it:

Dim ctrl As Control
    Dim rdo As RadioButton
    For Each ctrl In Me.Controls
       If TypeOf ctrl Is RadioButton Then
          rdo = CType(ctrl, RadioButton)
          If rdo.Checked Then
             MessageBox.Show(rdo.Text)
          End If
       End If
    Next

Then again, events would be a fun way to do it.  Great. Now I'm all conflicted.  I suppose in the end the event based model would be slightly faster, especially on a form that is heavy with controls.

In any case, now you have two ways of solving your questio.

• User profile image
    object88

Both good suggestions, but I have several groups of radio buttons for different purposes, and I need to know what button is selected outside of the scope of an event.

I ended up writing a simple wrapper class that just manages an ArrayList of RadioButtons.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.