Tech Off Thread

24 posts

Install Windows Vista RC1 on a computer with only 256 RAM

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • L_Park1

    Hello all niners! I need your help - I currently have only 256 Mb RAM on my computer and I can't install Windows Vista RC1 because it gives me an error that it requieres minimum 512 Mb RAM. So please if you know what must be modified or I don't know so that I can install Vista RC1 on my system.

  • W3bbo

    L_Park1 wrote:
    So please if you know what must be modified or I don't know so that I can install Vista RC1 on my system.


    Your system, add another stick of 256 Wink

    You can get a gig of cheap DDR for about £40 thesedays.

  • L_Park1

    Leaving away the part with buying memory... forget about the hardware part. I want to know if I can modify some txtsetup.sif file like in Windows XP so that it will ignore the minimum requiered memory. Smiley

  • ZippyV

    There is a parameter that you can put behind the setup exe so it won't do a system check. Unfortunately I don't know which parameter.

  • L_Park1

    Ok ok, thanks for sharing your experiences and tips BUT please give me the answer, the patch, the parameter or what is it pls.

  • littleguru

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    L_Park1 wrote: So please if you know what must be modified or I don't know so that I can install Vista RC1 on my system.


    Your system, add another stick of 256 Wink

    You can get a gig of cheap DDR for about £40 thesedays.


    Agreed! I would also recommend that. The guys at MS knew why they put 512 mb ram as a minimum. Never forget that.

  • L_Park1

    What I'm asking and what I receive. I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR ADVICES!! I asked you HOW CAN I INSTALL VISTA RC1 ON A PC WITH JUST 256 RAM. I DON'T WANT YOUR EXPERIENCES!! I WANT AN ANSWER!! Thanks.

  • Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    L_Park1 wrote:
    What I'm asking and what I receive. I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR ADVICES!! I asked you HOW CAN I INSTALL VISTA RC1 ON A PC WITH JUST 256 RAM. I DON'T WANT YOUR EXPERIENCES!! I WANT AN ANSWER!! Thanks.


    That's not a very good way to get an answer.

  • DuNuNuBatman

    L_Park1 wrote:
    What I'm asking and what I receive. I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR ADVICES!! I asked you HOW CAN I INSTALL VISTA RC1 ON A PC WITH JUST 256 RAM. I DON'T WANT YOUR EXPERIENCES!! I WANT AN ANSWER!! Thanks.
    Experience and answers usually go hand in hand. They were helpful enough to give you advice on getting it up and running. Now that you have displayed your ability of being a complete (I need to watch my language); you just limited the amount of people willing to answer your question.But here are a couple of places I found that may help you out:http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?showtopic=5691http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t78750.htmlhttp://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=45&TopicId=8446P.S. Advices isn't a word.

  • PavelA

    Is anybody solved this problem? RC2 has same requiements about RAM:(

  • Charles

    There are good reasons why we provide memory requirements for our operating systems. You'll need more memory than you currently have in order to run Vista on your system. Any other questions?
    C

  • PavelA

    Buying more memory - it's too expensive solution. Don't you know another solution?

  • Charles

    PavelA wrote:
    Buying more memory - it's too expensive solution. Don't you know another solution?


    Well, fooling Vista Setup to think the system has enough memory to run the OS in a reliable and performant way is certainly not one of them.

    C

  • PavelA

    I think this requirements is much artificial.

  • daSmirnov

    512MB seems spot on for the minimum requirement to me.  Like Charles said, it's there for a reason.

    But saying that did Beta 2 check for how much RAM you had?  I can't remember, anyone?

  • Code​Monkey666

    Did I read that Vista can use memory stick as extra memory?

  • daSmirnov

    CodeMonkey666 wrote:
    Did I read that Vista can use memory stick as extra memory?


    Yes, but not before it is actually installed.

  • phreaks

    why can't I run XP with 32 megs of memoy?

    My x286 Dos 3.x ran with 16 megs , so why can't XP run with double!

    lol

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.